• Coming soon. If you want to help feel free to send content/videos to admin@basenjiforums.com.

• Great, I am looking forward to read this thread, need the advice :rolleyes:

• Great idea!

• Hey let me know when you want to hear about showing horror stories I have several! Would love to let folks know that there is not much you can do in the ring that someone else has not done before.

• Great idea…

I like the horror stories too...I've even gotten excused from the ring.

• @dmcarty:

Hey let me know when you want to hear about showing horror stories I have several! Would love to let folks know that there is not much you can do in the ring that someone else has not done before.

Boy, isn't that the truth!!!! We all have our horror stories… and leave it to a Basenji to make sure that the minute you think they are "trained" they will prove you wrong

• Here are just a few of my options to share:
    Chronicles of Sarnia - legend of the Black Squirrel (or how I broke both ankles in the show ring)
    Make Zem Drop - what to do when a German judge askes you to make your dogs tesiticles drop the 2nd day you have ever shown in your life.
    Part 2 same day - same judge, Panty Hose.
    Starting a pattern before the judge tells you too - on your own while they are still examining another dog - at a specialty - probably recorded.
    Duct Tape - a fashion accessory.
    How many shoes do you bring to a dog show?
    The fence in Fargo, backing up a trailer and looking "conspicuous'.

• @dmcarty:

Here are just a few of my options to share:
    Chronicles of Sarnia - legend of the Black Squirrel (or how I broke both ankles in the show ring)
    Make Zem Drop - what to do when a German judge askes you to make your dogs tesiticles drop the 2nd day you have ever shown in your life.
    Part 2 same day - same judge, Panty Hose.
    Starting a pattern before the judge tells you too - on your own while they are still examining another dog - at a specialty - probably recorded.
    Duct Tape - a fashion accessory.
    How many shoes do you bring to a dog show?
    The fence in Fargo, backing up a trailer and looking "conspicuous'.

Can't wait for these stories… Can you tell us the first already?

• Mirtillo and I have a show this Sunday.. Is there anybody with some good advice on 'how to: show your dog?' Or in my case: Mirtillo?

• The main thing is to have FUN!!! If you make like a game, he will have fun and so will you… Try to stay relaxed and don't rush.... take your time..

• @tanza:

The main thing is to have FUN!!! If you make like a game, he will have fun and so will you… Try to stay relaxed and don't rush.... take your time..

Where planning on having lots of fun.. there are 150 pups 😃

One question: Mirtillo has the tendency to put his hind legs too much under his body when he's nervous. (or cold) Any advice on how to get them back. When I pick them up and place them on the right spot, he will stand like he has to poo.. :S (only when nervous)
    I have a new trick, I put my hands/foot in front of his hind legs and then try to let him make a couple of steps with his front legs for a treat. It works fantastic when he feels ok.. but when he's only a bit nervous..

So any ideas on that?

• @Janneke:

Where planning on having lots of fun.. there are 150 pups 😃

One question: Mirtillo has the tendency to put his hind legs too much under his body when he's nervous. (or cold) Any advice on how to get them back. When I pick them up and place them on the right spot, he will stand like he has to poo.. :S (only when nervous)
    I have a new trick, I put my hands/foot in front of his hind legs and then try to let him make a couple of steps with his front legs for a treat. It works fantastic when he feels ok.. but when he's only a bit nervous..

So any ideas on that?

I think what you are doing is perfect and that is common for a pup to want to stand under like that when nervous (and cold for sure), so I would say to just keep practicing what you are already doing. Not much you can do when they are nervous other then keep their attention on you and reassure him that there is nothing to be nervous about…

• @tanza:

I think what you are doing is perfect and that is common for a pup to want to stand under like that when nervous (and cold for sure), so I would say to just keep practicing what you are already doing. Not much you can do when they are nervous other then keep their attention on you and reassure him that there is nothing to be nervous about…

Ok, thanks 🙂

• Any more ideas on for a first timer? What if the dog just wants to point? Any way to fix that?

• Does he always stand with 3 feet on the ground and 1 foot up? Does he only do this when you try to stack him? Is it always the same foot?

If he occassionally stands with 4 feet on the ground in roughly a stack then I would start clicking and treating that. The more he is rewarded for having all 4 feet in position the more he will offer it. With my dogs I have found all methods to try to force them to put the foot down just results in their finding other and more interesting ways to not do what I want.

• He will stand on 3 feet most of the time, but as he gets tired, or sometimes just because of the lots of dogs around, will stand with all 4. It is always the same foot that he raises, and he just loves to do that when looking at things.

How bad is it if he stacks like that in a show? Would they consider him lame, or ask first and judge lameness by how he walks and acts?

• You really need him to learn to stand on all 4, before hitting the show ring…. IMO

• If he is not weight bearing on that leg on a regular basis, are you sure he is not lame? It is not normal for a sound dog to stand on three legs most of the time. When he puts the leg down, is he weight bearing on the leg or is just there for added balance?

The judge will use their own judgement about whether they feel the dog is sound or not. Each judge is a bit different so I can not say whether they would feel he is lame or not for just not putting the leg on the ground.

Have you discussed this with a vet? This is not typical pointing behavior and the fact that it is always the same leg would make me wonder if he has some sort of injury.

• Yeah, I will be working on that for the next few months, but the shows in Greeley are in August, and it would be good for me to go to those, but not worth it if he will be disqualified-lame for standing on 3.

I am sure he is not lame, I have taken him to the vets a couple times, but they say he's just fine. He runs on it with no problem at all. I am not sure about the weight bearing or not off hand. He did switch legs often as a puppy, but when he sprained his ankle almost a year ago, eventually he decided to just lift that leg, but it doesn't bother him, and has full range of motion.

• If he were mine, I would not take him to a show until he will stand on all 4 feet…. regardless if sound or lame, could be just as easily taken as lame... and excused (they don't disqualify for lameness, just excuse you for that day)

And like lvoss, I would wonder about the soundness, it really is not normal to stand on 3 legs...

Do you have any recent pictures of him doing that?

Suggested Topics