• So, ever since we adopted Tiger last week, I've noticed that the upper side of the 'bridge' of his snout is pretty much hairless and has been a pink color. He's spending a fair amount of time out of doors at doggy daycare and I'm wondering if there is such a thing as doggy sunscreen? Anyone dealt with a similar issue? If not doggy sunscreen… should I make him a snout toupe - uh, and how would I go about attaching it?

• I have not heard of sunscreen, and I think it's probably just his skin. If you look hard enough, I'm sure there is some out there.

• I put a UVA/UVB spf 60 sunblock on my dogs noses anytime they are going to be outside for long periods of time. Its a stick that I rub onto my fingers and then apply. Its called La Roche Pose. Its not a "doggie sunblock" I use it as well. My dogs do not mind it.
    As long as its hypo-allergic they will be fine.

• Vanessa… thanks for the suggestion... La Roche Pose? Cool. Is it something you bought at a local specialty cosmetic store or do you think it is carried at national outlets?

• Its not easy to find in the states since the FDA doesn't allow such a concentrated UVA/UVB sunscreen. (Long Story) European skincare is far more advanced than American skincare.
    I've seen it on Amazon but they never have it in stock. There are some Canada websites carry it and will ship it to you.
    Here is a link of the stick that I use. Its water proof and does a great job protecting my dogs noses…not to mention my nose too 🙂
    http://well.ca/products/la-roche-posay-anthelios-xl_3700.html

• Vanessa… thanks so much for the link. I'll have to use it to try and order some if I can't find anything similar locally. I just can't stand the thought of his little nose getting burnt every time he goes to 'get crazy' with his friends at doggy daycare. Maybe I could get him that zinc oxide cream, a pair of swimming trunks and a beach ball to achieve the 'lifeguard' look. :p

• Is it safe to use regular sunblock on dogs ?? I'm going to be moving to Texas next mth and Phoenix has a white tummy with very little hair on it i was wondering if it would be safe for me to use regaular sunblock on his tummy. He's a licker so i need to make sure it's not toxic if he licks it.

• I prefer a stick since it will dry much faster. Using a lotion or cream allows your dog to lick it right off which defeats the purpose. Make sure its water proof.
    A small amount will not harm your dog. I've checked with my vet and others and they all agree. My boy has a section on his nose which is a light pink. Anytime he goes into the sun it turns a bright red. I know its got to be painful. The sunblock has really helped.

Suggested Topics