• Chance has always gotten along great with others. Especially other dogs until we moved into our new house and our neighbor walked by with two Australian Shepherd's. Chance immediately started snarling and pulling on the leash acting like he wanted to kill them! He is only 1/3 the size of those two dogs but he could care less. :eek:
    The embarrassing thing is that we are on the same schedule so we run into each other daily. I've even tried to introduce the three of them but it is not working. Chance starts foaming at the mouth and snarling with a mohawk! He looks like pure evil when he does this.
    I can't even try to have a conversation with my neighbor. We have to speak from opposite sides of the street. Its awful!
    This morning I took them outside to potty still half asleep and Chance bolted towards the street. I just about lost him because I did not expect him to run full force. Thank god I had the leash rapped around my hand or else he would of been gone. I could not figure out what he was going after. He started growling and snarling again. That’s when I saw my neighbor coming from a block away. Sheesh! I could not control Chance and it was ridiculous.

Has anyone else's Basenji acted like this and if so, what do you do????
    Do you think he really would attack the Shepherd's?

I hate it when he gets like this. I can't control him and my neighbor walks by staring at me while I am trying to calm Chance down. I've yelled across the street telling my neighbor that he really is a good boy and that this just isn't like him trying to make the situation better. :rolleyes: This sucks!!!

• LOL and 😞

Mine act like this any time they see another dog – except, oddly enough, at shows and that time two weeks ago when my friend brought her terrier over --
    so I can't help you.

I HATE walking them anywhere there could possibly be other dogs; and Jazzy is a NIGHTMARE in the vet's waiting room......

Keoki even got a little snotty when he met Harley! Fortunately, Harley was wonderful and ignored the rude behavior from the younger ,obviously less mature/refined boy.

• And the interesting thing is that he does not get like that with all the dogs, I noticed it's mostly the dogs with a lot of fur. Our neighbour has two of these:

attachment_p_41955_0_1447.jpg

• That is interesting about the fur….I never thought of that. My Jack has a huge problem with a poodle that lives in the complex, but no problem at all with the pugs, boston terriers, and bulldog that live in the complex. Come to think of it, all the dogs that he gets along with have shorter coats- there is a black lab, a mutt with a short coat, and a basenji mix (we think maybe with a collie of some sort, so a little bit longer fur)

Do you think they think that they are lions? Lol!

• They sure do act like they are superior to any other dog.

• I like the Look At That! game outlined in McDivett's Control Unleashed book. Be aware that many herding dogs (esp Aussies and BC's) tend to stare which other dogs may think is a threat. (and in some cases really is)

• I wonder though….would our boy really hurt those dogs? The way he acts really is scarry!

• @Vanessa:

I wonder though….would our boy really hurt those dogs? The way he acts really is scarry!

you probably don't really want to find out! Chance is just now getting to the age where you see what their true personalities towards other dogs are going to be; and now is when you start to see leash related aggression. I agree with Kim….work on a 'watch' command, find a good training protocol to teach Chance to pay attention to you no matter what is going on.

• @agilebasenji:

I like the Look At That! game outlined in McDivett's Control Unleashed book. Be aware that many herding dogs (esp Aussies and BC's) tend to stare which other dogs may think is a threat. (and in some cases really is)

I didn't realize they can stare. All along I thought it was that poofy hair they have :rolleyes:

• And don't forget, now you have a second B in the house… and he will and can begin to think he needs to "guard" her...
    Aussie's are very intense... totally... just look at the picture you posted and the look in that dogs eyes...
    I also agree, you do not want to find out and yes, they can and would hurt other dogs....

Suggested Topics