• Though the dog may be tossed against the side of its crate during an accident, the chance of serious injury is actually pretty small. The dog may end up a little bruised and sore but otherwise okay. The big advantage to a crate is that they are contained, so after they accident there is no worry about them getting loose and getting injured or killed by another car. Even if the dog is normally fine with their seatbelt harness, if you are injured and perhaps even unconscious, would your dog who will probably be quite fearful at that point stay in the harness?

It is true that my boy Nicky has always had issues with his crate. Even at 10 1/2 years old he still does not like being crated alone. He will happily get in his crate in the car though and sleeps during the ride. He will occassionally whine when we are on surface streets but not too often anymore. Our first few trips with him in the car were quite traumatic for all of us, he would scream and pitch a fit for the whole ride, even the whole 2 hour trip to Dillon's Beach the second weekend we had him. He did pretty quickly learn that 99% of the time we were going someplace really fun and calmed down considerably.

• We have a Bmix & 2 labradors & also find time to foster here & there. We have several kinds of harnesses that we have collected & have found the 3 & 1 vest harness, to be the best & EASIEST to use! I origionally got it for Piglet, our bmix who had never had a collar on or been leash walked. The stationary part around her neck in the "small" (she was still young) has some elastic so she wasnt choking herself till she learned to walk in it & on a leash. They are all easily adjustable. They do tend to run a little big, so if in doubt, go the next size smaller. 😉 They have a regular lined chest & a mesh chest which I like for the summer! The seat belt can go through the "handle" on the back.
    http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=D74032%20BK%20XS&GEN1=Accessories&SKW=%20dog_lovers%20accessories&PageNo=1&ref=sugg

• The thing I discovered (and some others too) is that the "handle" style harness can sometimes get tangled because the seat belt can only go one way through it but the dog wants to twirl around before curling up on the seat. The harness I bought from dog.com has the clip part on a swivel so no matter which way the dog turns the strap doesn't normally get wrapped around the dog. And the strap is short enough that he can't travel very far.
    [A crate just won't fit in my LRT so the harness is my only choice]

• Cammie chewed thru hers in less than 1 minute!!! I bought the exact same harness at Complete Petmart for $25, which I feel like I wasted.

Does anyone know of a leash they can't chew thru? We are on our 3rd leash.

• http://www.lupinepet.com/

Not indestructible but they will replace it as many times as your pooch can chew it

• I've gone to leather leashes because EL D can blow through the nylon ones (even heavy duty) in no time flat. He still tries to chew the leather but at least it takes him much longer and I have time to stop him.

• @zanybrave:

Cammie chewed thru hers in less than 1 minute!!! I bought the exact same harness at Complete Petmart for $25, which I feel like I wasted.

Does anyone know of a leash they can't chew thru? We are on our 3rd leash.

my dog did chew his fair share of leashes when he was younger, but now a days it's really a non issue. Have you tried training her to not chew the leash? you can start by spraying it really well w/ Bitter Apple (although I will admit, my own dog thought this was just a condiment). But you could also train a drop it/leave it with regards to the leash.

• I tried a harness too but got too complicated to undo and my dog kept chewing it. Gave that up and she lies in a transport cage that takes all the back of my car. Had no choice after one seat belt has been dammaged as well as whatever was in the car!. When she is in her "car home", she just goes to sleep or sits up and looks at the road, cars and other things she would like to run after (the back of my car has a large rear window so, plenty to look at during a long journey). No room left in my car but a good solution for my Basenji, when I open the door of her "car home", she waits until I have put the leash on and then jumps out, well attached. If I take her with me in a friend's car, she sits on the back seat quietly BUT no way, can I leave her alone in that car, she would destroy everything and pee on the seats !(from past experience, not much fun for my friends)

Suggested Topics