• @etzbseder:

Good point, I still spend more on toys and fancy food/additives than I do on all my vet visits/tests.

If you look on the pedigree search, you can find all sorts of siblings and free pedigrees.

Not sure what you mean by your post? Siblings yes, pedigrees yes, health testing, no… health testing doesn't (with the exception of Fanconi) doesn't show up on Sally W's pedigree site.

And really health testing is important. Eye tests by a board Certified Vet is extremely important and everyone should have their dogs done. And not that expensive (all of mine have been under $50.00). All young dogs should be done for at least a base line and if nothing shows up then every two years at least.

• oh, just responding to the comment that she thought her dog was medjais sibling. And that testing is good and isn't a large cost in owning a healthy dog.

• But the point is that anyone who is selling dogs has no excuse to breed a litter without doing the health testing first. The only reason not to test is because it cuts into the bottom line, profit. Yearly vet check ups will not show the condition of a dog's hip joints, whether they have auto anti-bodies for their own thyroid tissue, or even if a dog is slowly losing its vision to an inherited progressive degenerative disease.

• @lvoss:

But the point is that anyone who is selling dogs has no excuse to breed a litter without doing the health testing first. The only reason not to test is because it cuts into the bottom line, profit. Yearly vet check ups will not show the condition of a dog's hip joints, whether they have auto anti-bodies for their own thyroid tissue, or even if a dog is slowly losing its vision to an inherited progressive degenerative disease.

Well put lvoss…. responsible breeders work so very hard to breed good, well socialized, healthly dogs... are we always right... heck NO.. but at least responsible breeders have not spared the expense of trying.. and know bloodlines, researching pedigrees, looking at siblings, weighing what is most important and what we might or might not accept. No breeder is perfect but the ones that can tell you about the pups, their parents, their grandparents and their siblings have put the time and effort into their breeding program which is to improve and to preserve the breed. Responsible breeders do not make money, nor to they expect to... they hope to at least break even and are darn lucky if that happens... and responsible breeders will usually only breed when, 1. They want a pup to add to their breeding program and 2. Only when they have prior reservations for pups.
    It is for the dogs and about the dogs... never for money

• Hey I got my basenji from Phil to, about a week ago. I wish I could have (or would have) done a little research on him first, I didn't think I would find anything. Does he have a good rep?

• Sorry, but this guy is a byb.

• Are his Bs AKC registered and does he use/have a kennel name? There was someone in CO who was selling pups a few years ago on puppyfind.com and either the sire and/or dam was related to my Arnie, a rescue, who came from a commercial breeder. The pups were not AKC registered.

• His Bs are all AKC registered, he doesn't use a kennel name. He does sell them on puppyfind, and as I'm finding out doesn't separate the pups to determine exact parentage for the AKC. Some of his dogs have been tested for Fanconi, and we are working out kinks with that as well.

But I must say that he does socialize the pups and Medjai was also house trained when I got him, used to the car, and didn't mind the crate.

• I am very supportive of of you Michael and all the right things you have done with Medjai….

• Yes, you have really worked hard to do right by Medjai. He is lucky to have an owner willing to work so hard to stay up to date and in touch with the basenji community to provide the best for him.

Suggested Topics