• Mine all remember the commands that they learn when I say they "forget" it is really more that we are dealing with one of the 3 Ds (Distance, Duration, or Distraction) that they are still having trouble with. As sighthounds I find Distraction to be a hurdle since they find so many things interesting to watch, as a primitive dog they are also fascinated by scents so there are days when if I can just get their attention it is a good day. I should also add that our obedience class moves every week so the dogs learn to train anywhere which is great because really they are less distracted by different locations but it is challenging when we first arrive and they really want to investigate. Distance and Duration both offer their own challenges but we are getting there.

• wow, that sounds great. how much are you paying for that class?

i checked out petsmart's basic training for cairo and it isnt like it used to be. I am not thrilled with the amount of things they learn in basic.

do you take all of your basenjis to training, or just the youngest?

cairo is ready to begin….

• I pay $15 a session or if my husband and I both attend it is $22 for two dogs. It is also $15 a session for the agility classes I attend with a different instructor. Each of my dogs attends at least one class a week, either obedience or agility.

• do they love the agility? or is it difficult to get 2 to pay attention?

caesar has such a natural spaztic excitement about lure coursing….

• They love agility but I have a great teacher who really understands sighthounds. She owns some of the top whippets and foxhounds in agility. They really do love the obstacles and doing them and mine cry for their turn at the course.

• @Duke:

I'm curious if anyone has been successful with training your B's to Roll Over?? Both D&D make me feel I'm torturing them, so I give up on it.:o QUOTE]

Our puppy graduation is on Thursday, I have been working with Zuri on roll over. She isn't too bad at it. I just get her in a down, hold a treat by her nose and bring it around the side of her body which will make her roll over most of the time. Sometimes she turns her head to meet the treat on the other side instead of rolling…but I think she will get it eventually. She has the sit, down, stay, take it and leave it pretty good....but the loose leash walking....that's my struggle.

Love my B
    Brenda

• brenda, caesar has been loose leash walking for 5 years! he still pulls unless he knows I have treats. there is so much to look at!

• We never go walking without treats at this point. But she wants to see everything and everyone! It is so hard to get her attention back when she has 'locked' onto something.

• Our puppy graduation is on Thursday, I have been working with Zuri on roll over. She isn't too bad at it. I just get her in a down, hold a treat by her nose and bring it around the side of her body which will make her roll over most of the time. Sometimes she turns her head to meet the treat on the other side instead of rolling…but I think she will get it eventually. She has the sit, down, stay, take it and leave it pretty good....but the loose leash walking....that's my struggle.

Love my B
    Brenda

Wow!! Dash sits and that's it. He has to be the first dog I have had that I did not pursue training. He's to cute. Great job on your training.

• Our puppy graduation is on Thursday, I have been working with Zuri on roll over. She isn't too bad at it. I just get her in a down, hold a treat by her nose and bring it around the side of her body which will make her roll over most of the time. Sometimes she turns her head to meet the treat on the other side instead of rolling…but I think she will get it eventually. She has the sit, down, stay, take it and leave it pretty good....but the loose leash walking....that's my struggle.

Love my B
    Brenda

Gee, someone should open a Graduation thread to show off all the graduates! Be sure to take a few pictures. Pet Smart puts a Grad Cap on the pups for pics. They look so cute.

Zuri must be real smart to roll over. I've done what you're talking about to kind of force them over - both won't take their eyes off the treat so rolling over is out.

Loose leash with Duke is impossible - we walk with a head collar. There is promise with Daisy. We're still working on it - she's being so good about it.

• I am downloading pictures off my camera right now and charging the battery…She is graduating from Petsmart so the caps are ready. I have yet to figure out how the heck she will sit still for us to put it on her...gonna have to break out the really good treats!!!! I promise I will post some pics. Her 'trick' to graduate will be howling to Nelly Furtado....she does it all the time and I have the cd ready for tomorrow. If that fails (it won't) i have the high 5 or crawl that she can do for them. Who knew?? Such a smart critter!

Brenda
    (aka proud mama)

• As a proud mama of TWO crazy feisty tempermental loveable AND intelligent pooches…I just have to brag 😃 😃

TOPAZ & C3PO graduated from Training Level 1 for Feisty Dogs..Feisty is defined by leash lunging, growling, not friendly (dogs or people) dogs. They got their graduation diplomas & as proud parents it was very emotional for us! Well me :o more then DH 🆒

We've come a very long way with these loveable nutty dogs when I was literally TERRIFIED to walk them alone to the point where I now have confidence & control. Both my furbies can sit, down, stay, come here, & leave it (sometimes LOL 😃 ).

Our instructors recommended us for Level 2 for Feisty Dogs where we'll be working outside with 10/12 dogs. We had our first Level 2 class & once again our B's impressed the instructors with their calmness & attention!! :eek: not MY DOGS :eek: are you for real??😕 😕

Pics of the big day to come 😃

• @jys1011:

As a proud mama of TWO crazy feisty tempermental loveable AND intelligent pooches…I just have to brag 😃 😃

TOPAZ & C3PO graduated from Training Level 1 for Feisty Dogs..Feisty is defined by leash lunging, growling, not friendly (dogs or people) dogs. They got their graduation diplomas & as proud parents it was very emotional for us! Well me :o more then DH 🆒

We've come a very long way with these loveable nutty dogs when I was literally TERRIFIED to walk them alone to the point where I now have confidence & control. Both my furbies can sit, down, stay, come here, & leave it (sometimes LOL 😃 ).

Our instructors recommended us for Level 2 for Feisty Dogs where we'll be working outside with 10/12 dogs. We had our first Level 2 class & once again our B's impressed the instructors with their calmness & attention!! :eek: not MY DOGS :eek: are you for real??😕 😕

Pics of the big day to come 😃

That is super…. congrats!!!!

• Whoo hooo!!!! That is awesome! I am so happy for you!

• I bet you are sure proud of those B's, congrats all around!

C3 and Topaz, you've just graduated from level one "Feisty" training, what are you going to do next?

We're going to Basenji Park!:D 😃

• WooHOOOOOOO! I'm teary, I'm so proud for you J! Excellent job C3PO & Topaz!!

• @jys1011:

As a proud mama of TWO crazy feisty tempermental loveable AND intelligent pooches…I just have to brag 😃 😃

Feels GOOD, doesn't it? I am right behind you jys1011. I've got to have that feeling pride soon too. Duke and Daisy can deliver if I put forth the effort with them. I absolutely must post their Grad pics here too. They are both scheduled - together - with their Intermediate training, beginning July 19th. I hope and pray the instructor has mercy on us 😃 . I could use a li'l extra help from instructor with two in the same class. My 9 yr old son is going with me to help with this accomplishment. (my DH doesn't want to participate - anyone have any tips to get him on board?!?)

🙂 Big kudos to you and your DH with C3PO and Topaz's accomplishment. 🙂

• So would you guys recommend doing all of your dogs together in training, or do you have more success with one at a time?

• @jys1011:

Congratulations!

• @Mantis:

So would you guys recommend doing all of your dogs together in training, or do you have more success with one at a time?

In class, it can sometimes be distracting for my dogs to see their housemate but they usually ignore each other since working pays so well. Sophie finds all the other dogs in her class a distraction.

At home, I try to train individually and I ask for behaviors of them as a group. Like sit, down, or wait. They can be really competitive so when they see someone else is getting treats and they are not they really starting thinking how they can get them.

Suggested Topics