Kiya is home…not going as expected

• I brought Kiya home this evening and had Chance meet her outside on neutral ground. When they met Kiya right from the beginning put him in his place. She would growl and snarl as soon as Chance got in her space. This continued throughout most of the walk until we arrived at the house. Immediatley Chance wanted to mount her and would NOT leave her alone. Its now been 4 hrs and Chance still won't let up. Every chance he gets, he will try to hump the poor pup or lick her back end!!! This is rediculous.
    Kiya is being a real sport. She already went potty in her potty box and has been adjusting to Chance's not so nice behavior.
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!! Will he ever stop? Poor Kiya can't even leave the couch without being bugged.

• Oh boy! I wish I had some advice, but I'm sure lots of people will reply and PM you with ideas. ((Hugs)) to "hang in there". Please keep us posted.

• I also forgot to mention that Chance now marks her potty box right after she uses it.

• Is she not growling or snapping at him when he is doing this like she was outside when they first met?

• when they first met she sniffed him and everything was fine until he started getting sniffer aggressive towards her. After a while outside when we came inside she would allow him to approach her until he would try to paw her and mount her. I think that was when she decided she had enough. She doesn't dislike him. She is very curious of him but he is just taking it too far and she gets pissed. While she was trying to sleep last night he kept licking her and pawing at her so she would gggrrrr and snap.
    This morning things have simmered down (a little) he is really curious of her and she want to play. After a few minutes of playing he goes towards her back end again and will try to mount her. I immediately pull him away. Its not as bad as last night. When he does this to her she will turn around and snap at his face and make god awful noises. She can sound vicious. 🙂

• @Vanessa:

when they first met she sniffed him and everything was fine until he started getting sniffer aggressive towards her. After a while outside when we came inside she would allow him to approach her until he would try to paw her and mount her. I think that was when she decided she had enough. She doesn't dislike him. She is very curious of him but he is just taking it too far and she gets pissed. While she was trying to sleep last night he kept licking her and pawing at her so she would gggrrrr and snap.
    This morning things have simmered down (a little) he is really curious of her and she want to play. After a few minutes of playing he goes towards her back end again and will try to mount her. I immediately pull him away. Its not as bad as last night. When he does this to her she will turn around and snap at his face and make god awful noises. She can sound vicious. 🙂

As hard as it is, you need to try and let them work it out. Pulling him away will only make him go after her more…. and the god awful noises are normal... get used to them because they will make them for life... and let her snap at his face, he needs to know that she finds this unacceptable.
    I always tell people until you hear noises that B's can make at each other, you would never believe them.... You remember Kristii's noise when you were here... she has been making those since she was 6wks old

• hmm.. i wish i could help 😞 good luck though!!

• If Chance continues his interest in mounting and sniffing Kiya's "female parts", there could be something else going on. It is not unusual for female pups to get puppy vaginitis. This ailment produces aromas that male dogs mistake for being in season. (People can't smell it.) Left untreated, the male dog will aggravate the female so much that fights can occur. I use an ecchinasea/goldenseal capsule daily, opened and mixed with something "smelly" to hide the bitter taste. The problem is always resolved within one week. I am not a veterinarian though so you should discuss this ailment when you take Kiya to your vet.

• @tanza:

As hard as it is, you need to try and let them work it out. Pulling him away will only make him go after her more…. and the god awful noises are normal... get used to them because they will make them for life... and let her snap at his face, he needs to know that she finds this unacceptable.
    I always tell people until you hear noises that B's can make at each other, you would never believe them.... You remember Kristii's noise when you were here... she has been making those since she was 6wks old

Pat–after Max was neutered at 6 months, I never had this issue with him (and my older dog was a spayed female german shepherd mix). Now I have a neutered/spayed father/daughter pair of Bs and have never had this issue. If you have a male/female pair, and they are neutered/spayed--does this automatically stop this kind of behavior?

• @MaxBooBooBear:

Pat–after Max was neutered at 6 months, I never had this issue with him (and my older dog was a spayed female german shepherd mix). Now I have a neutered/spayed father/daughter pair of Bs and have never had this issue. If you have a male/female pair, and they are neutered/spayed--does this automatically stop this kind of behavior?

In a word, No… IMO.... neutered dogs can and will mount and even achieve a tie (breeders call it safe sex..ggg)...

IMO, Chance has never learned proper play with other dogs and was never really around adults that would teach him proper behavior... typically this is learned from the Mom.... and if there are other adults in the house. However neutering him will help, but when this bitch comes in season... it is not going to be pretty... again, IMO

• @YodelDogs:

If Chance continues his interest in mounting and sniffing Kiya's "female parts", there could be something else going on. It is not unusual for female pups to get puppy vaginitis. This ailment produces aromas that male dogs mistake for being in season. (People can't smell it.) Left untreated, the male dog will aggravate the female so much that fights can occur. I use an ecchinasea/goldenseal capsule daily, opened and mixed with something "smelly" to hide the bitter taste. The problem is always resolved within one week. I am not a veterinarian though so you should discuss this ailment when you take Kiya to your vet.

And Robyn is right, this could be the problem also, however in knowing Chance and seeing his behavior with other dogs, I think much of this is that he is just very inmature for his age and never really learn "proper" play with other dogs… he is not aggressive to other dogs, he is just inappropriate with some of his antics.... Kiya, given the chance will put him in his place... but I would think this house is going to get really loud with Basenji sounds...

Suggested Topics