• A lot of people focus on all the things they don't want their dog to do but forget to reward them for all the things they do want them to do. Even though the attention you are giving them for doing the wrong things is negative it is attention. Try rewarding when Trixie is doing something right even if it is only for fraction of a second. You may be surprised to see the length of time she does those things increase as you reward them.

• I know that the behaviorist I worked with stressed that - try to ignore inappropriate behavior whenever possible and reward the good. Small treats work well. I have trained my basenjis some very helpful things with treats. One of my favorites at the dog run is "get in the car!" It used to be hard for me to get them in the car when it was time to go - I'd have to catch them and you know how hard that is. So whenever they got in the car, they got a treat. It became something they would do every time because of the treat. They'd jump in and whip around and wait for the goody. Now I have a car with remote doors and the sound of the door opening is enough! But it has worked with other things as well, like "in your crate," or when I ask them to sit or stay (stay is still one of the hardest) - all the basic obedience. And they'll still do these things without the treats because of the original association.

• Exactly, you start with a high rate of reward at the beginning and then move to a variable reinforcement schedule so they don't know when they will get the treat. The important thing is that even when they "get it" you make sure that you are still rewarding them periodically. Dogs are great gamblers, they will if there is a chance that it will pay off then often they will give it a try.

• @lvoss:

Exactly, you start with a high rate of reward at the beginning and then move to a variable reinforcement schedule so they don't know when they will get the treat. The important thing is that even when they "get it" you make sure that you are still rewarding them periodically. Dogs are great gamblers, they will if there is a chance that it will pay off then often they will give it a try.

Especially a Basenji…... 😉

• Believe me we do reward Trixie with treats when she does something good!! The problem is I have trouble ignoring her bad behavior becuase her bad behavior is normally something destructive!!

• Then use redirection. If she is doing something you do not want her to do redirect her to something you want her to do so you can reward the behavior. So if she is chewing on shoe, redirect her by trading the shoe for a chew stick or a nylabone then praise her for chewing on the appropriate object.

• That is what I have been doing and don't get me wrong, things are getting better!! Sometimes I think she thinks it is a game because she does'nt always chew up the things she is bringing me, sometimes she just brings things to me and has that look of look what I can do Mom! We are hopefully doing everything right with her but that is one of the reasons I plan on taking her to training classes!!

• It sounds like Trixie has learned the concept of trading up and is seeing if you will trade her for something better. This isn't a bad thing. My obedience instructor's whippet does this when they are out visiting her horse except the thing he brings to her to trade for duck jerky are sheep placentas, YUCK! But it is way better then him eating them.

• Well we tried what everyone suggested here on the forum last night. Trixie was doing her usual 9:00 pm digging in her favorite leather chair. We gave her one of her toys and she stopped. This took about 4 times of her starting to dig and us giving her one of her toys but she did finally stop. (Keep in mind but time number 4 I had a water bottle in my hand). She looked at me like WHY CAN'T I DIG IN THIS CHAIR? ALL YOU PEOPLE DO IS SIT IN IT!!) Sometimes the looks she gives me are priceless and soooooo funny!! But we are making headway!! Thanks again!!!

• Well we tried what everyone suggested here on the forum last night. Trixie was doing her usual 9:00 pm digging in her favorite leather chair. We gave her one of her toys and she stopped. This took about 4 times of her starting to dig and us giving her one of her toys but she did finally stop. (Keep in mind but time number 4 I had a water bottle in my hand). She looked at me like WHY CAN'T I DIG IN THIS CHAIR? ALL YOU PEOPLE DO IS SIT IN IT!!) Sometimes the looks she gives me are priceless and soooooo funny!! But we are making headway!! Thanks again!!!

• I agree with everyone's posts but some things are just in their nature & really you can't stop them from doing it.

Digging on the chair or couch or their beds or the rug…is their nesting habit. They all do it & it's just what they do before they settle in.

They're hunters by nature so they will inevitably hunt things they shouldn't...rodents, small prey, your shoes etc. 😃 You can manage some things but not all. It's just who they are :eek:

• @jys1011:

I agree with everyone's posts but some things are just in their nature & really you can't stop them from doing it.

Digging on the chair or couch or their beds or the rug…is their nesting habit. They all do it & it's just what they do before they settle in.

They're hunters by nature so they will inevitably hunt things they shouldn't...rodents, small prey, your shoes etc. 😃 You can manage some things but not all. It's just who they are :eek:

Yes I agree. She is quite the mighty hunter and her nose is to the ground always!! Alot of times when she is digging in the couches and chairs she is trying to bury a bone. She will stuff a bone into the corner and actually take her nose and push imaginary dirt?? over the bone. It makes us laugh!!

• @lvoss:

It sounds like Trixie has learned the concept of trading up and is seeing if you will trade her for something better. This isn't a bad thing. My obedience instructor's whippet does this when they are out visiting her horse except the thing he brings to her to trade for duck jerky are sheep placentas, YUCK! But it is way better then him eating them.

Yes Trixie has certainly learned the concept!! She does very good with her training as long as she knows that she is going to get something in return!!

• @ELERICKSON40:

Yes I agree. She is quite the mighty hunter and her nose is to the ground always!! Alot of times when she is digging in the couches and chairs she is trying to bury a bone. She will stuff a bone into the corner and actually take her nose and push imaginary dirt?? over the bone. It makes us laugh!!

Yea, my B does the same, the first time I saw this I was so intriged, they are so smart. It is a funny thing to watch, Sahara will take a bone around the house in her mouth for the perfect place to bury it. If she can't find a place she is happy with she will prance around whinning the sadest noise like she is so sad. I actually pitch in and help her find a place, and she will most of the time agree on the place, she checks it out and then walks off. These dogs spoil you for any other breed, they are the best.

Suggested Topics