• Our Dash is a pet store B. As much as we adore him, we would not do it again. What I didn't realize about buying from a reputable breeder is the contact throughout the dogs life you have with that breeder. Having someone in your corner who know these dogs well is worth a lot. Also, we have no idea what the history of our dog is and since it is pretty much a guarantee that no health testing was done we are parnoid something could come up. This could end up costing us thousands in the long run or possibly lose our beloved boy.

I know how hard it is to walk away from an adorable puppy but it may be the best thing for all.

Best of luck to you!

• @hdolbow:

Oh definately. I'm not saying that you need a title to have a good dog.

I have asked more questions than anyone could imagine to the breeder of the pup we bought. the breeder has done health testing and they are healthy. the pups are AKC registered and have a health gaurantee as well. The breeder has responded to me promptly and has answered all the questions that I have asked her completely. Her references were awesome.

That is great, but it is always good to check for yourself. You can check the OFA web site for the sire and dam and see all the test results for yourself. It is something that all prospective buyer should do, regardless… Knowledge is a powerful thing.... and remember that Basenji's have late onset problems that do not show up till after the age of 3yrs and typically not till 5 to 7 (for Fanconi and PRA). Also hips can't be tested till 2 for a final reading. And to check for yourself is not a "slam" on the breeder, they should be "impressed" that you do so... I know as a breeder I would be.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Hey hdolbow, good luck with your new puppy. i added a male puppy when i had a 3 year old female basenji. i found that he really emulated the things she did and potty training was actually quite easy. i learned quickly to keep remotes, clothes, watches, cell phones etc. out of puppy reach. I also fed them separately (one inside crate, one outside crate) for a while but overall it was a pretty smooth transition! I hope it works out well for you! Where in NJ are you? I work in Mahwah…

South Jersey.. We live in Monroeville, a reallllly tiny little farming town. we're surrounded by christmas tree fields on every side 🙂 We're about 5 minutes from 55 Though, and 30 to DE and 20 to Philly. About 5-10 minutes to Rowan University/Glassboro.

• @tanza:

That is great, but it is always good to check for yourself. You can check the OFA web site for the sire and dam and see all the test results for yourself. It is something that all prospective buyer should do, regardless… Knowledge is a powerful thing.... and remember that Basenji's have late onset problems that do not show up till after the age of 3yrs and typically not till 5 to 7 (for Fanconi and PRA). Also hips can't be tested till 2 for a final reading. And to check for yourself is not a "slam" on the breeder, they should be "impressed" that you do so... I know as a breeder I would be.

Awesome.. I'll definately check that out! Thanks 🙂

• @hdolbow:

Awesome.. I'll definately check that out! Thanks 🙂

Your welcome, if you need any help looking it up, send me a private message and I will help. Or you can just post the sire and dams name….

• For those who have never gone to the OFA website and looked up a dog, I would highly recommend you do just to get familiar with the sort of information you can find. Here are links to two of my dog's pages so you can get an idea the sort of things you might see.

http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1048448#animal
    http://www.offa.org/display.html?appnum=1197609#animal

• @JazzysMom:

Absolutely true. And quality breeders don't necessarily only breed champion dogs. It's about the quality of the animal, not the title in front of the name.
    So do please ask about the health testing and history of the parents of your pup, regardless of who you buy it from.

If there is a breeder charging thousands of dollars for a pup, run in the opposite direction! 🙂

Yes! In fact, most responsible breeders RELY on pet puppy buyers to enable us to breed dogs to show. That is, we need homes for the puppies we can't keep…and we want them to go to the most loving, and caring homes. We need "just" pet owners to help be our voice, particularly when it comes to voting against legislation that would ban breeding dogs.

IMO...there is no such thing as "just" a pet owner. Puppy buyers are a huge part of the equation! Without them, there will be no quality puppies bred.....

• hdolbow - Contrats on getting your new little furry family member! Welcome to the Forums. You've already got a good head start here with premium advice. Very exciting and yet alot of committed work for awhile. Good luck - hope everything goes well.

• When goober met mimi we just brought him into the house and now mimi hates goober. when we got luna goober needed a walk as soon as we got home, so goober and luna met in the park. they get along great. i also read somewhere that the best way to introduce new dogs is in "neutral" territory. it's worked for me so try bringing rocky to the dog park to meet your new puppy.

• i've actually read that too 🙂 somewhere outside the house and yard, until they get comfortable with each other, then bring them to the most neutral spot in the house, i'd guess the kitchen beings that rocky has claimed the couch and our bed as HIS territory (:p ), after taking away all toys or things that could be faught over.. Hopefully it all works out :o

• And be prepared for lots of noise… because your boy will make it seem as if he is killing the pup.... especially with those baby teeth which are like razors...

• @tanza:

And be prepared for lots of noise… because your boy will make it seem as if he is killing the pup.... especially with those baby teeth which are like razors...

oh lord.. :p I'm hoping for an easy integration into the house.. hahaha

• @JazzysMom:

How lucky you are! And what an exciting thing to look forward to.

Have the puppy meet Rocky someplace outside the house – outside of your yard is best -- in order to minimize any territorial defense reactions from Rocky. If they meet down the road and walk home together he may be less bothered by the puppy coming in.

That's a great tip, we are getting a new pup 1st week of Feb and I was scared how Mia would receive it since this is HER house lol…but I will definitly do that the 1st day thanks!

• Of course the problem you have with bringing home a puppy that is only 8 or 10 weeks, is that they really need to have 2 sets of shots before being in a public place… and also the fact that they will not be leash trained to be in a public area.
    That is why when I place pups with someone that has a adult dog, I have them come to my house. I put them in the back yard and then bring the puppies out... Puppies are too young to have "territorial responses" to the yard and it is a netural place for the adults..... works quite well .... I do however put up all my adults in their crates during that time....

• @Mia:

That's a great tip, we are getting a new pup 1st week of Feb and I was scared how Mia would receive it since this is HER house lol…but I will definitly do that the 1st day thanks!

thats funny, we named our new girl Mia 😃

• @tanza:

Of course the problem you have with bringing home a puppy that is only 8 or 10 weeks, is that they really need to have 2 sets of shots before being in a public place… and also the fact that they will not be leash trained to be in a public area.
    That is why when I place pups with someone that has a adult dog, I have them come to my house. I put them in the back yard and then bring the puppies out... Puppies are too young to have "territorial responses" to the yard and it is a netural place for the adults..... works quite well .... I do however put up all my adults in their crates during that time....

beings that we live in the middle of nowhere (hahaha:D ) we dont have anywhere really dog oriented to take them to meet.. like i said previously we are surrounded by christmas tree fields, and my boyfriends aunt lives maybe 500 feet down the road on a farm, with a big yard and pasture.. so maybe that will be the best place to introduce them

Suggested Topics