• Have you contact BRAT? They are a good resource to help you find a good forever home for him.

• Do you know if the original owner got him from a breeder or was he from a rescue? The reason I ask about a breeder is, maybe he can be returned to the breeder. Also, if he is in tact, I'm wondering if the original owner had an agreement with the breeder that he couldn't be neutered for some reason. Could you ask the original owner where he came from?

• If you can't find the breeder, and you decide to rehome him yourself, I suggest you get him fixed.
    You surely don't want him to end up in a puppymill breeding home and that can happen with intact dogs.
    But ideally, the breeder should be contacted…

• Yes the breeder if known should be contacted and also you should contact BRAT… are you in No. or So. California? And he for sure needs to be neutered before his is placed regardless...

• I am in southern California.

• Please, I know you care about this dog, but please get him fixed before you rehome him to anyone other than BRAT…

• You can also contact MedFly in Southern California…

• @tanza:

You can also contact MedFly in Southern California…

Yes–You can check out their website (there's a link to it on the BRAT site). They are also known as Basenji Rescue of Southern CA. Pls send me a private message if you want more info. I got Tyler and Zoey from them earlier this year.

• "Young male basenji, free to good home" was how we got our first male, intact, who was a handfull for his very uninformed owners. We didn't know what we were getting inot either, but 34 years later, here we are with 3. Please follow the great advice you have been given, contact BRAT, they wil find him a great home, or nueter him if you place him yourself. There is nothing wrong with crying "uncle" and turning him over to rescue, you are like a wonderful foster home for him. They will screen potential owners and make sure he gest just the right family, and you can rest easy, knowing he will have a good life.

Good luck,
    Anne in Tampa

• OK, I take it all back, we have decided to keep Baroo. He deserves another chance, and a fair one, so I'm going to commit to training him and walking him and take it from there. I will be starting another post, and don't want to repost everything here, so if you want to know more see the other post. I have just decided he is worth a second chance.

Suggested Topics