What is it? Vet doesn't know

I asked the vet if they could test Zahra for Fanconi since she will be 2 in Feb and her next visit will be at 2 1/2 years.

They had no clue what it is and asked me, can someone give me a definition of what it is and should I wait until she is 3 to test her?

Here is the link to the BCOA health page. It has a description of Fanconi, http://www.basenji.org/?q=node/17

Here is also a link to the BHE FAQ about the Linked Marker Test. Testing will be suspended until late Feb or early March this month while the lab concentrates on finding the actual gene mutation. It is possible that by spring there will be a direct gene test for Fanconi.

http://www.basenjihealth.org/linkage-faq.html

And you should take this information and give to your Vet so that they know also… and if you haven't the Protocol.

Don't be surprised if 99% of Vets do not know about the DNA Fanconi test, as first many Vets don't even know what Fanconi is, the protocol, let alone the DNA linkage test.... so it is up to all B owners to "educate" their Vets...

I am so glad that you said that Pat I was a little worried when my vet, whom I have a lot of trust in was the one who had no idea what Fanconi was.

I am definelty going to take this information to them tonight when I pick Zahra up, she is there for a teeth cleaning right now.

Do you think she is too young to be tested? She is 1 Year 9 months.

@ChaseandZahrasmom:

I am so glad that you said that Pat I was a little worried when my vet, whom I have a lot of trust in was the one who had no idea what Fanconi was.

I am definelty going to take this information to them tonight when I pick Zahra up, she is there for a teeth cleaning right now.

Do you think she is too young to be tested? She is 1 Year 9 months.

She is not too young to be tested, but like Lisa said, unless you get the sample in by December 20th, you will have to wait till after February as they are going to concentrate on the Direct linkage test. And there is no reason that you can't wait at this point.. the linkage test was mainly for breeders this past breeding season. For you, I would say wait till after Bebruary and see if we get the direct test…. But you should at age two strip test until you do get the DNA test done

In order to do the DNA test you need to register/add your B to the CPP data base and print out the form for the test that tells your Vet how much blood and how/where to send.

All that information is at www.basenjihealth.org

Looks like your connection to Basenji Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.