• Hello all,

We are the proud parents of our 5-month-old basenji-pug mix, Charlie. We live in Ottawa, Canada, and have used your site a lot to learn about how to live peacefully with basenjis. His basenji side seems to override any pug qualities that we may have expected. For instance, he has been showing off his B500s and a strong distaste for going out in the rain! He doesn't seem to mind the snow, which is a good thing considering we live where we do.

We look forward to using this forum to improve our 'parenting' skills.

Zofia and Ernest

• Welcome to the forum. I own a 4 months old Basenji that is also named Charlie.
    You will learn much about the breed on this site. I've only been here for a short time and have learned quite a lot.

• Welcome to the forum, can't wait to see your baby, a basenji pug sounds like a very interesting mix

• Here are some pics of our Charlie. The first one is when we first went to see him - he was 10 weeks old. The others are more recent.

attachment_p_27780_0_charlie-aug25-011b.jpg
    attachment_p_27780_1_charlie_20071103_118.jpg
    attachment_p_27780_2_charlie_20071108_124.jpg

• He is just so adorable.

• Charlie is … cute - cute - cute! Congratulations and welcome to the B-Forums. Enjoy!

• I just want to squeeze Charlie, he is sooooooo cute, it is a interesting looking mix. Welcome to the forum, you will learn much here!

• OMG is he cute or what???

• I see that you call him a Pugi? Were there breeders that intentionally bred his parents together? Or is that just a cute name for a mix from an accidental breeding?

He is very cute!

• Welcome! OMG…He is soooooooooo cute 😃 !!!

• What a little cutie (especially the face one)! Welcome to the group.

• Hello and welcome!!! Charlie is adoreable and he definately sleeps like a basenji!!!

• @Quercus:

I see that you call him a Pugi? Were there breeders that intentionally bred his parents together? Or is that just a cute name for a mix from an accidental breeding?

He is very cute!

On another note, I saw a "benji" Basenji, beagle mix on puppyfind. cute puppy. I am not sure why they were bred though.

• OMG! What an adorable dog!!!! Soooo snuggly! Welcome!

• He is sooooo cute! Welcome and congratualtions!

• @Quercus:

I see that you call him a Pugi? Were there breeders that intentionally bred his parents together? Or is that just a cute name for a mix from an accidental breeding?

He is very cute!

Thanks!! We got Charlie from a small local breeder - family business it seems. She explained that she breeds for health rather than for show, so she mixed her basenji with another, similar-sized breed to 'get the best of both worlds.' It was the mom's first litter, and she had three pups. Here's a picture of her.

attachment_p_27870_0_charlie-aug25-003.jpg

• Your pup is very cute and will make you a wonderful companion, but I certainly disagree with the breeding.. Breeding mixes doesn't promise health, period… and of course breeding mixes has nothing to do with showing. Breeding purebreds are not just for showing, sure the breeder has a vested interest (responsible breeders that is) and they are usually breeding to improve the breed in health, temperament and conformation all of which are needed even in the show ring or in the performance ring... Breeders typically breed a litter so that they keep one to carry on their breeding program.. and typically the other pups are placed in wonderful pet homes... and unless she is keep health records on all the pups that they produce and sell, she really knows nothing about their health or if she is not health testing them before breeding, she knows nothing about their health as far as Hip problems, thyroid, etc... You can't breed and just think that you will get the "best" from both because the obvious can happen and you get the worst....

• Point well made. In hindsight we realize that Charlie was probably bred more for novelty than for health or anything else - the litter was the first of its kind. That being said, we fell for Charlie right away and we're not looking back. 🙂

• @Puji:

Point well made. In hindsight we realize that Charlie was probably bred more for novelty than for health or anything else - the litter was the first of its kind. That being said, we fell for Charlie right away and we're not looking back. 🙂

Andyou shouldn't….

I would like to make one more point about breeding, breeders and purebred dogs. Responsible breeders do not breed for money, it is not a business and honestly if you are breeding right, you never make money on a litter, you are lucky if you break even....
    And I am not sure I would even say it was a breeding as a novelty, but more for profit only....

All that said, I am glad that Charlie has a good home with you and your family

• Here's a few pics of another Pug + Basenji mix. He's up for adoption at our local rescue foundation, the Lange Foundation.

Suggested Topics