Question about adding a second B

• Hello- sorry i've been asking so many questions lately but everyone on here is so helpful! So i'm planning to start looking for an adult B in the coming months. My question is this: Diego is left uncrated in the house, with all doors shut. He pretty much has access to the living room, kitchen, and hallways. When I add the new B, where do I leave her?(Obviously I wont know if I can trust her roaming the house with diego). In a crate in a room Diego cant get in? Thanks again!!

• I think it probably depends on how well the initial introduction goes and how comfortable your new b is staying in the crate. Ideally, they will hit it off and the new b will love her crate….that said, more than likely it won't be so easy! Try getting your new b over a weekend or at some other time where you will be available to be home for several days. That way everyone has time to adjust...if the new b seems confortable with Diego and the crate you are probably okay leaving the crate in the room with Diego. On the other hand, if it seems like they need a longer period of time to adjust or the new b gets stressed out about the crate it would probably be better to leave the crate in a quite room away from Diego while your gone, at least at first.

Be warned...my b has learned to unlock his crate. We have another b visiting us for a while who I keep in the crate. Today I came home and was greeted by three dogs instead of the usual two. Apparently Manning thought letting his new b friend out of the crate would be great fun. Luckily all three cats have been accounted for and I haven't found anything broken, ripped apart, chewed...Yet! I would get mad if I wasn't so proud of Manning's smarts!

Good luck...I'm sure when you get your new b everything will work out.

• thanks for the advice and support!! and thats cute Manning let the other B out! he just wanted to play!!

• i know this is beside the point, but do any of you have basenjis who smell your eyes as a form of greeting? this is our fourth basenji who has done that, it's so cute, but i have never seen anyother breed do that. also our brindle has golden brown eyes not the dark brown in our red and white, is that standard?

• @felakuti:

i know this is beside the point, but do any of you have basenjis who smell your eyes as a form of greeting? this is our fourth basenji who has done that, it's so cute, but i have never seen anyother breed do that. also our brindle has golden brown eyes not the dark brown in our red and white, is that standard?

Sometimes mine will smell my eyes, particularly if I am wearing eye makeup, or cream.

And no, golden eyes (or lighter eyes) is not standard. All eyes should be dark… but lighter eyes can still be very pretty!

• I wonder where the light golden eyes come from…our brindle is from the african project, cayote? jackel?

• @felakuti:

I wonder where the light golden eyes come from…our brindle is from the african project, cayote? jackel?

What is your brindle's registered name?

• @felakuti:

I wonder where the light golden eyes come from…our brindle is from the african project, cayote? jackel?

There are a number of different basenji lines that have "light" eyes, both domestic and from the Af project, but the standard for all basenjis is dark eye

Suggested Topics