• Basenji myths

Are tricolors more naughty than reds?
    I have heard from many owners of both colors and agreed tri's are more naughty by nature- Myth?

Are African stock descendants more "Basenji like" meaning more feral in nature?
    Mine seems to be, but I have not had contact with enough other dogs to prove or dispel this-

Are Basenji's the only dog that can physically cry/-shed tears?
    I know someone who claims this is true and his or her dog did it!

Can a basenji smell/sense or see a bird at 40 yards as stated in "Goodbye My Lady"?

What is the real top speed of a basenji documented?

Basenji's are not really feral, but domesticated dogs not that different than other independent breeds?
    You read about other breeds having the same personality characteristics as basenjis. Are they really feral dogs made pets?

Basenjis are highly intelligent?
    How does one prove dog intelligence?
    I have seen my dogs do the craziest three part schemes to get what they want and other times do the dumbest things in the world, falling for the stupidest tricks.

Basenjis have a sense of humor, dignity and other humanized emotions.
    This I believe.

They are ADHD dogs
    Aren’t all dogs like that?

Anubus is a Basenji
    Good luck proving that one!

Any others other than "they are mute" obvious ones?

• You Wrote: Basenji myths:

I have heard from many owners of both colors and agreed tri's are more naughty by nature- Myth?

Reply: Certainly is the truth in my house… no myth there....

Mine seems to be, but I have not had contact with enough other dogs to prove or dispel this-

Reply: I do not believe so... at least not to the extent of a 1/4 or below Avongara bred Basenji.... now for full Avongara's depends on the owners, depends on the socialization... but I would not call them more feral either...

Reply: don't know...

Can a basenji smell/sense or see a bird at 40 yards as stated in "Goodbye My Lady"?

Reply: I know people that hunt with their Basenjis and they will tell you yes, without a doubt...

Reply: don't know... and not sure if anyone cared enough to track it

Basenji's are not really feral, but domesticated dogs not that different than other independent breeds?
    You read about other breeds having the same personality characteristics as basenjis. Are they really feral dogs made pets?

Reply: I believe they have (New 80's Afs and Domestic Basenjis) are feral made pets.... There are too many characteristics that are totally Basenji

I have seen my dogs do the craziest three part schemes to get what they want and other times do the dumbest things in the world, falling for the stupidest tricks.

Reply: Pretty hard to answer, I think we would all like to think our Basenjis are highly intellent..... if based on how Obedience dogs behave, our are at the bottom on that list... what does that say about intellent dogs..?

This I believe.

Reply: I think it is a mistake to think that any dog has "humanized emotions" That is wishful thinking as a human....

They are ADHD dogs
    Aren’t all dogs like that?

Reply: No, not all and No not all

Anubus is a Basenji

Reply: don't understand that one.... Not even Basenjis are mute?

• Are tricolors more naughty than reds?
    In my house my tri Sugar has definitely been more, ummm, "out to lunch, do her own thing" than Shadow. I can't tell with Damisi yet, she's only a pup.

I can only tell you from what I have seen from others Af's. No.

Never seen this happen! Dog's don't produce tears like humans-now elephants do cry.

Um, if Sugar's anything to go by-not only can they see it, but they can catch it too!!

Not a clue. Can you really track that??

There is domesticated dogs-bred for human use; independent-bred for a purpose, eg chows; and then Basenji's himmmm don't fit into either.

They have always been used by humans-so I would say feral pets.

Intelligent-yes in a lot of ways. They will think about things. Shadow knew the chickens were out back, but had to think about how to get to them. Took him two weeks, but he did have fresh chicken!

A lot of behaviourists use games, problem solving, etc to grade the intelligence.

I don't believe they are human emotions. Sorry Chimpanzees and Gorillas have the most human emotions. Humor, dignity, etc are a learned behaviour-not an inherent behaviour. You grow up in certain surroundings learning these behaviours not by inheriting them.

They are ADHD dogs?

There are certain diseases and afflictions that would make it so. Within breeds there a certainly more active and less active dogs. But ADHD, ADD etc. is a human made problem. Faulty genetics and human judgement make this so. These are not problems that are usually predisposed in any one human. They are environmental (ingestion of chemicals,foods, etc in the womb) and unselective breeding in humans. (Sorry if this sounds horrendous). 40 yrs ago you never heard of these problems, now they are all over the map. A lot of the ADHD and ADD kids are a side result of a drug or alcohol problem from the mother while the child was in the womb.

Anubus is a Basenji

Who the heck knows!

Mute?? They scream, baroo, roo, growl, snarl, hiss. Mute is not possible

• Anubus was a jackle. I dunno if it's possible that there is some jackle in the basenji base line, or maybe they are more jackle than wolf?

• I was just thinking the other day, that my dog was ADHD, she can be completely 100% interested in something, walk away, and move on to something completely different and its all within a couple of secs. and she acts like what she was so interested in, never happened. LOL

Also, I have noticed that she sheds tears. Sometimes it just breaks my heart. "B"s really know how to work you sometimes.

• Basenji myths:

Reply: I have no experience so I can't say.

Reply: I do not think so. Our red half AF boy ran up to the judge tail wagging to introduce himself when the lure stopped during his puppy practice. In fact all the litter loves to meet new people.

Reply: don't know… but do not think so

Reply: People who hunt will tell you absolutely. From my own observations watching my dogs scent the air I would agree.

Reply: Not sure. My husband did a calculation based on a timed oval track race but I forgot what he came up with.

Reply: Basenjis are different than other breeds. They are not man made. They are one of the breeds that chose living with humans as an advantageous adaptation.

Reply: I do not think there is a good measure of canine intelligence. Having worked with my dogs in multiple venues, I think they are thinking dogs. They problem solve and are keen observers.

• @Barklessdog:

Basenji myths

I've never had or seen a red. All I know is according to all the basenji horror stories I've read on the web, my tri boy is an angel. 😉

Suggested Topics