• My boy just turned five months and is about 13 pounds - there are no other basenjis in our area I can compare him to, but he seems pretty big for his age (very lanky, just long and tall!) His mom was on the smaller side while his dad was very big for a B, so I was wondering if his weight was around average for his age, or if he's on the bigger side. (Hoping he grows up to be bigger like his dad.)

• Basenjis each grow at their own "speed"... when they are done, it is what it is... to me he is fine at his weight, but more important what does he look like body wise? There is not real average as they all grow at their own time. My smallest born (in our first litter) turned out to be the biggest when mature, so you just need to make sure that his body type shows good.... not too thin, not too heavy... I would not worry about it...

• @dandydog I completely agree with @tanza. Don't worry too much about weight. Pay attention to the body. You don't want him too fat, but you also don't want to see ribs. If you can see ribs, he may be too thin.

My litter last year... we had one female who lagged behind the pack for the first six weeks. We paid close attention to ensue she was thriving and gave her first dibs at the tap room. In other words we would wake her early and get her to momma before anyone else to make sure she got her share. She always lagged, but she was gaining at a similar rate as the other pups. Today she's as big and healthy as all the rest.

It is a genetic lottery of sorts. Some are BIG like our first Basenji, Jengo, and some are smaller like our current Princess, Sparkle.

I'd be watching to see that he's gaining weight. If he is that's a good sign. And again, just make sure you can't see rib outlines when you look at him from the side. Run your fingers over his rib cage. With a light touch, if it feels like a roller coaster you might need to increase his calories. If not, you're good and he is too.

As always, if you're really concerned... a good vet is a never a bad idea. If you can, post a picture so we can see him. Side on would help. ๐Ÿ‘

• @jengosmonkey - Or a picture from above... as standing over him...

• @tanza It's good to know they grow at their own pace! He is very healthy, you can feel his ribs well under his skin but they are not visible. He's been growing very steadily! I was just curious, not concerned - whether he's big, small, or average, he's perfect to me ๐Ÿ™‚

• @jengosmonkey I wasn't concerned at all for his weight, just curious as I see a lot of weight variation in basenjis online! His ribs are perfectly as you described and he's been gaining weight steadily. He's a very active boy and he's on a great diet! I'm excited to see how he turns out but I'm not in a rush either, just enjoying him ๐Ÿ™‚

• @dandydog Post a picture... We LOVE pictures! Show that little guy off. ๐Ÿ‘Š ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘

• @jengosmonkey Snapchat-2070253522.jpg

I didn't realize how few pictures I have of him just in profile so pls excuse the kitchen mess lol

• @dandydog and immediately after.. it's hard work standing still on the counterSnapchat-868797980.jpg

• @dandydog WOW! He's exquisite! Stunning color. Just WOW! As to weight... I need @tanza and @zande to chime in. He looks a tad thin to me. But, they have decades more experience than I do. Damn, he's a good looking Basenji.

• @jengosmonkey Thank you so much! I think he's a pretty handsome guy โ˜บ๏ธ He did go to the vet quite recently (getting confirmation on some mild seasonal allergies), and she said he was at a perfect weight, though I certainly trust breeders the most. He is on a special diet made for his age and weight to maintain at his activity level, as well, and he's putting on that weight at a good rate!

• @dandydog - He looks good, but for me as a breeder I prefer to have a bit extra weight on pups. This is just in case that they catch a bug.... they have a little extra on them. Other than that he looks great. Just a FYI about feeding... over the years and years that I had and bred Basenjis, they all eat the same thing.... even baby puppies.... If you are feeding good quality food there is really no reason that a baby puppy can't eat and thrive on the same food as the adults. But that is just me. Care to share his breeding, Sire/Dam name? Many of us are related by our Basenjis here.

• I like puppies to be plump ! You can fine him down again when he is about 6 months old. Basenjis grow at different speeds - sometimes they go right up on the back legs and then the front legs catch up. Or the other way around. They level off in the end.
    You want to be able to fit another half Basenji inside his skin when he is fully grown. The skin needs to be supple and feel loose between your fingers.
    He certainly has a wonderfully glossy coat which is a sure sign of excellent condition.
    Yes please, do share his pedigree details - Mom, Dad, date of birth etc. And We can make sure he features in the on-line Pedigree database.

• @dandydog said in Avg. 5 Month Weight?:

pls excuse the kitchen mess

You might regret letting him up on the kitchen counter! ๐Ÿคฃ
    He's gorgeous!! (I โค Brindles!)
    Love his nails, too! Nice trim job!

• @zande He was born December 31, his dam is Zabine via Zama, and his sire is Klay from the Kongo. And I will definitely be putting some weight on him, thank you for the tip! His skin is very stretchy lol. Thank you for the compliment on his coat - he's been the healthiest little boy ๐Ÿ™‚

• @elbrant Thank you so much!! Thankfully, he's not quite tall enough to figure it out on his own yet ๐Ÿ˜† We worked very hard on paw handling so we're able to keep them nice and short!

• @dandydog - I was able to find his dam on Zande's pedigree site... did your pup come from Harmony Hounds?

• @dandydog
    Heโ€™s beautiful!โค๏ธ

• Handsome New Year's Eve baby! That'll be an easy birthday to remember LOL

• @dandydog Thank you for this, I will add him to the database just as soon as you tell us HIS name ! We know Dad, Mom, and date of birth but what his is registered name ? Or if he isn't registered (yet) what will be his name. Failing that, how can I enter him ?

Suggested Topics