Skip to content

3 month old Basenji scratches at her collar a lot?

Basenji Talk
  • Is it OK for a 3 month old B to constantly scratch at her first collar ever after having it for about 2 days? Also, she tries to chew on her leather leash once in a while.

  • If she never had one on before then it's probably awkward for her and she's trying to get the strange thing off. It will bet better with time. A lot of dogs chew their leads.. she's a puppy and these things are new for her.

  • Very common to scratch. Usuually the breeder will begin to put collars on pups at 3 to 4 weeks to get the used to it…. can take weeks. Chewing leashes is certain common for babies....

Suggested Topics

  • Can a 3 month old b go outside?

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    Chealsie508C
    I can say we just had a blizzard and have been getting one to two storms a week. Oakley has a Hurrta coat, a snood which he sometimes uses as a neck warmer and boots used for wet snow or extremely cold weather. Despite that his paw pads started bleeding yesterday mid walk…he really can't handle the constant snow,ice,cold and ice melt.. I think you should be able to bring your pup out; just keep an eye on any signs of hard shivering or motionless (not wanting to move), lifting up of one foot at a time and staring at you. All those can be signs of cold uncomfortability. Congrats on your new pup and I do agree to use caution around dogs you aren't familiar with, but also keep in mind socialization is super important as well. Try for positive experiences with dogs at a safe distance and try to get in up close experiences with dogs whose medical history and owner reliability are there
  • Basenji mix and martingale collar

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    6k Views
    Q
    My boy is a real escape artist, and I mean real - Julius K9, loads that people have recommended as being for 'Houdini dogs'. He also chews through leashes, including a beautiful, very expensive leather and brass….which he neatly chewed into 8 inch lengths when I was foolish enough to leave it below 6 feet up....the only thing I trust my boy to be tethered in is his current harness - a Ruffwear Webmaster. For walking, yes, a martingale (and oddly enough, Butu has never worked the trick when slack), but I'd definitely not trust him tethered. I'd get him one of these, and probably a chain and trust him in an open stall where he can see you and you can chat....I'd make the chain long enough that he could stand in the entrance, but could go inside the stall if he wants a sleep, drink, food from his bowls....do not let him near tack, horses feeding stuff, horse's anything - and I'd be cautious about hay too.... Chealsie508 - have you tried these (Ruffwear Webmaster?) If this hadn't worked I was going for a Ruffwear Doubleback, which costs a serious amount of money (but when I think of the number of useless harnesses I've bought..) but is the nearest thing I've seen to a doggie straitjacket - it's used by those people who drag labradors rock climbing.... http://www.ruffwear.co.uk/dog-gear/harnesses/doubleback-harness
  • Considering adopting a 3 year old Brindle

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    8k Views
    D
    Congrats! I would still urine strip test him monthly for glucose. Jennifer
  • Basenji Collars?

    Basenji Talk
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    16k Views
    K
    Janneke, maybe they will ship one to you? I know that WWW won't deal directly with owners, but maybe some of the vendors/stores that carry them will be willing to ship to you? Wizard, they usually use those collars for whippets and other sighthounds because the head is very narrow and not much bigger than the neck. Collars easily slip off so they often use a martingale style. Also they make them extra wide so they don't cut into the dog, it makes it more comfortable since they tend to have longer thin delicate necks. They're not heavily muscled like other breeds. And if they pull like Basenjis, it's good to have a wider collar to spread the pressure out! :) Less likely to damage the trachea.
  • What type of collar does your Basenji wear??

    Basenji Talk
    16
    0 Votes
    16 Posts
    8k Views
    jys1011J
    rockinmommy-we got fleece lined collars at ALL HOUNDS. I like their policy. If your dog chews up his collar they replace it for free :D Check it out! http://www.allhoundsapparel.com And the lady majestic martingale collars uses satin to line her collars…aahh soft :) http://www.majesticcollars.com Good luck!
  • Collars made for Basenjis

    Basenji Talk
    42
    0 Votes
    42 Posts
    22k Views
    lauralopezL
    Is this Nick Russell of MastersPride? If so, we have a leather collar that does not slip down the neck and works well with them pulling. I put it high on the neck and Talker and Savannah will stop. But these collars that you posted the pixs looks really nice. Do you have the website?