• @sanjibasenji - I have it in my contract that I will refund XXXX amount upon completing a puppy socialization class or OB class, of course with proof of completion. That said it needs to be continue, one class will not "train" your pup of any breed.

• @eeeefarm - When I talk to potential new owners, I review their life style. If both work and have kids, how does that leave time to work with the pup? And kids at an early age should NOT be responsible for that training. Feeding, potty training, yes, other things, nope. Adults need to be involved and many don't even have enough time for their kids let along a pup.

• Most people in general don't care about dogs for the dog's sake, they care about them for themselves, if they do care at all. The fact is, most people that have dogs, shouldn't.

For a lot of people, dogs are something to come home to, not something to do things with and engage with. For the average pet dog owner, dogs are almost like accessory items. This is the main reason why their dogs are untrained. They haven't cared enough to educate themselves on how to engage with a dog or even interact with one. This is evident in the way that people treat dogs and behave around them. A great example is the fact that most people talk to dogs, unbelievably, but this is overwhelmingly the case. The dog doesn't speak or communicate with language, but the human isn't talking to communicate, they're talking to the dog for their own benefit and for their own sake. If they really wanted to communicate effectively with a dog, they would use body language and make use of verbal commands only after properly teaching them and only as a means of associative learning; which is the only reason verbal commands work, not because the dog understands what's being said but because they have learned to associated that noise with an object/idea/action.

In the end, people do what they want. I gave up caring about how other people act long ago. It's none of my business what they want a dog for; I wish them the best. I'm now only interested in helping people that are genuinely curious about learning how to effectively communicate with dogs and how to actually have a relationship with a dog and how to have a dog genuinely like you.

• @scagnetti said in An Ancient Breed Indeed:

not because the dog understands what's being said but because they have learned to associated that noise with an object/idea/action.

Ever here of Charles Eisenmann? I saw him, back in the day, and I have no doubt his dogs understood language, both from him and from others (on occasion he let a reporter remain in a closed room with his dog, and had the reporter request whatever he wanted the dog to do, and it complied). I played around with his methods and discovered that my dog did indeed listen to my words and pick out the relevant meaning. I didn't go so far as Chuck, but enough to demonstrate to me that the dog could find meaning in a conversational request.

From an article on Eisenmann " One skeptical reporter said to Eisenmann something like "That's cool, but what if I told the dog to open the door? Would he do it then?" Eisenmann answered the reporter's question by turning to the dog and simply saying, "You heard him." The dog immediately trotted over to the door and opened it again with its mouth.

In a small adjacent room the teletype machine was clattering away and - as it usually did - making a lot of noise in the process. At one point Eisenmann told one of his dogs - and I quote him here pretty much the way he said it - "The teletype machine is making too much noise. Do something to remedy that." Whereupon the dog walked over and shut the door to the teletype room.

The wife of one of the reporters was present for the demonstration, and was very pregnant, sitting in a chair. Eisenmann said to one of the dogs: "Somebody in this room is having a baby soon, can you go say hi to them?" Again the dog moved immediately to the expectant mother and acknowledged her by setting his paws up on her lap."

That was typical of Eisenmann's dogs, so either he was telepathic or the dogs understood his words. Reporters were never able to observe any visual aids.

• @tanza said in An Ancient Breed Indeed:

and many don't even have enough time for their kids let along a pup.

HA!

• @eeeefarm said in An Ancient Breed Indeed:

That was typical of Eisenmann's dogs, so either he was telepathic or the dogs understood his words.

Wow.

• @eeeefarm it's very hard to accept. Not only that a dog could obey commands, but could reason and figure out that, for example, closing a door would decrease noise. Hmmm forgive me for being sceptical. Dogs do learn key words for sure. Trade, bickie, HOT, and a variety of commands and warnings but further than that. . .?

• @zande I might be skeptical too if I hadn't seen a demo for myself. And of course all the appearances he did back in the day, late night talk shows, Carson, etc. plus many, many articles in newspapers. And reports from when they were filming "The Littlest Hobo". Often a scene would be altered and Chuck would just tell one of his dogs what had to be done, and the dog would do it. Not a lot of advanced practise, just done and done. A lot of skeptical reporters tried to trip him up, but they could never find any hidden signals or signs that anything had been previously rehearsed, and Chuck was open to any request suggested.

Chuck didn't just teach one dog, he started with London, but eventually had four or five German Shepherds for film work and doing demonstrations. I talked to Chuck on the phone once, when I ordered three of his books. He was old then, in his eighties. I asked him if he thought a Basenji could learn by his methods and he said yes. I could never be as dedicated as Chuck, but I did read and apply some of what I learned, enough to indicate to me that it was the right track to getting the dog thinking about what request might be hidden in a stream of conversation.

• @eeeefarm

A friend of mine used to have a psychic dog act. Great trainer who fooled a lot of people.

• @scagnetti said in An Ancient Breed Indeed:

@eeeefarm

A friend of mine used to have a psychic dog act. Great trainer who fooled a lot of people.

There has never been anyone I am aware of that could do the things Eisenmann did, but someone else apparently came close.

https://americacomesalive.com/smart-german-shepherd-1927/#.Vecu7RFVhBc

In the end it probably doesn't matter. If there were cues of some kind that many, many reporters missed, it would still be incredible for someone to achieve that high a level of cooperation from a dog. Most if not all trainers would be pressed to do the sort of thing Chuck did even if they walked beside the dog and instructed him on every step. I saw it, with the dog working far away from Chuck, too far for subtle cues, and no verbal instructions after the first conversational suggestion....

Suggested Topics