• IMG_6984.jpg

Adopted this puppy a few days ago. The shelter says she is about 6 mos. She has a cone on because she had her spaying surgery. I am wondering if she's a basenji mix? She doesn't have the curly tail and exact coloring as I've seen in Basenjis so I assume she's mixed with something. She is very smart and loving, but I am noticing a biting issue; could just be her adjusting to the changes. Also she is already very territorial. She was barking and growling at the neighbor across the hall. Helpppp

• This post is deleted!

• Very cute, but I don't really see Basenji. Many breeds have white chest and white tipped feet. but you can do a DNA test. Regardless you are welcome here!

• One of the tell-"tail" traits of a Basenji is a square shape. Height and back length are the same, providing a box appearance when viewed from the side, standing. That and a curled tail. Everyone keeps telling me my girls tail looks like a cinnamon bun. If you have other photos you could share, it might help us better determine your pups lineage. Please understand, it's just a guess. Some of our members have spent years with the breed and would have a better "guess" than others. You can learn more about what Basenji's look like on the AKC website.

• @dreadara said in Is my pup Basenji mixed?:

She is very smart and loving, but I am noticing a biting issue; could just be her adjusting to the changes. Also she is already very territorial. She was barking and growling at the neighbor across the hall. Helpppp

Under what circumstances does she bite? In play, or because she doesn't want to do something? Just nipping or serious biting (drawing blood)? It takes time for a dog to settle in, although usually it is easier with a pup. Depending on her prior experience she may not understand that biting is unacceptable, so it is up to you to teach her. Have you prior dog experience? You do need to be the boss and bad behaviour should never profit her. Many ways to go about training, much depending on what motivates her.

• I don't see any Basenji either, nonetheless she is a lovely little person. Just need to teach her that biting is unacceptable and as her confidence grows she will get the message - as long as you remain the alpha !

• @elbrant - Better place to see what a Basenji looks like is on the BCOA site, www.basenji.org and go to https://basenji.org/index.php/shop/books-cd-s-illustrated-standard/illustrated-standard. You can review on line

Suggested Topics