• I would like to hear what others have done regarding the Basenji hernia. I realize vets can repair this with spay/neuter but I am not planning to spay my girl. Is it worth going through the surgery to repair this?

1_1618435918009_hernia2.JPG 0_1618435918009_hernia1.jpg

• @beth314 - NOPE not necessary.... 70% of all Basenjis have an umbilical hernia of varying sizes... it is no big deal and doesn't need to be repaired. Every now an again one might cause issues, as I did have a bitch that when one of my other girls have pups they tried to nurse on the hernia (and she let them)... I did have to have that repaired... if you see it change color like to red or purple then you need to have it repaired... but that is like one in 1000 that would happen.

• @tanza Thanks Pat. Surgery would be a major hassle; my vet said 2 weeks no playing, jumping etc. Ya, right! Plus the cost. I will opt out of fixing it, then.

• @beth314 - Same that give (Vets) for spay/neuter surgery.... mine lasted about 2 days with that... lol.... When I did get my Mickii's done About the same she was still for about 2 days... Basenjis are smart as we know.... I never gave pain meds except for the first night... when they feel the pain they will limit themselves... of course I was home with her for the first 3 to 5 days. But that said, I would not bother... my Maggii had a huge one and had a litter of six with no issues... as did my Fatia... No big thing, don't fret over it! Again I am not a Vet but have had Basenjis for over 35+ years.

• @tanza Your experience works for me.

• Very often, while the puppy is still young, you can work the hernia back in. It gets harder and harder to do and one day it stays there.

Lay the dog on its back in your arms and wiggle it till you find the hole.

I've only corrected two surgically in all these years of breeding. One because it was gi-normous, and while we did her, we did her Dad too. Its just a fatty lump, unsightly, but even in the show ring judges excuse it in a Basenji.

• @Zande, we used to do this with foals, too, if the hernia wasn't too large. It generally worked well.

• We have this issue currently with our B, Layla. Our vet is concerned that it may not be the typical fatty deposit, but that her intestines may be part of the bump because the last time she saw Layla she couldn't push it back in. She suggested to get a test done (ultrasound) but they are crazy expensive, and that is just to find out. If the intestine is somehow involved, then it is a risk not to fix it as soon as we're able, so the vet says.

That said, we are planning to spay Layla anyway, but were going to wait until after her first heat, so not sure if it makes sense to do the test, and instead simply proceed to spaying her earlier than panned. But after reading this thread I am a bit relieved but also confused - so many opinions and experiences. Maybe we should get a new vet, though we've been happy with them so far and they were recommended by B breeders in the area.

• You should wait AT LEAST until after the first season, preferably after the first two, if you absolutely must spay. Frankly that is never the best option for any bitch.

I should find out how experienced your current vet is with Basenjis and in any case, get a second opinion and, probably, move to a vet who knows our breed.

The holes do close up. It does become impossible to get the hernia back inside. This is not indicative of anything sinister necessarily, it is just a fact of life. If your vet thinks it IS telling him/her something else, I should most definitely question it. If the only indication that something could be wrong is that the hole has closed up - definitely wave goodbye to that vet !

• @brentpetrek - Totally agree with Zande. How familiar is your Vet with Basenjis? Does the Vet understand this (umbilical hernias) are very, very common in the breed and yes they will close so that pushing them back in is not possible. To be honest in all the hernias I have had in our Basenjis, I have never been able to do that and never worried about it. (35+yrs as a breeder in the breed) Again, I have never had issues with umbilical hernias on any of my Basenjis or their off spring. Umbilical hernias ranged from none to very large and even the very large they whelped pups with no issues. Personally I would not spend the money for an ultrasound... again if you see that the herina is red (as in inflamed) or turning purple then a fix is needed. But that is very, very rare.

• The danger would be a "strangulated" hernia, and yes, that can be serious.

• @eeeefarm - Very, very rare in Basenjis with an umbilical hernia... in fact I have not in all the breeders (responsible) that I know all over the country ever had this happen. Granted my one did, but that was because my one bitches pups tried to nurse on it and of course that changed the dynamics as the "Mom" was happy to let the other bitch in the house care for the pups (she was NOT Mother of the Year).... so if that happens you need to watch what is going on...

• @eeeefarm In all these years and with lots and lots of hernias (Basenji Moms have a tendency to take the cord in their mouth, paw in the stomach of the neonate and WRENCH so they are understandable) I have never known (or heard of for that matter) one strangulate.

But as @tanza says, careful observation - is the lump changing colour, for instance - will show you if things ARE going wrong.

Suggested Topics