Skip to content

How do you know when it’s time?

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • Thank you all for the support. We took Griffin to the vet today. Based on several factors, the vet believes Griffin has a brain tumor. We don’t know for sure bc I’m not doing an MRI, but the seizures and other things seem to indicate a tumor. He doesn’t think Griffin has much time left and suggested it’s best to put him down soon because the seizures may start happening more frequently and become more severe. We absolutely love our vet and he said a lot of things that made sense today. Like everyone said, it’s better to say good bye a little early than too late. We have a big decision to make very soon. I don’t want him to suffer. Thank you all for the support and advice. This forum was my first line of support and I’m so glad I came to you first.

  • @griffinsmom
    My thoughts are prayers are with you. I feel for you and hope everything works out for the best. 🙏🐾❤️

  • @griffinsmom - It is difficult to know when is the right time.... you need to look at quality of life and that is a reason to say goodbye, been there done that, if eating and sleeping they are mostly OK, IMO.... but I know that it plays on us humans mind and hard to watch if doing things like walking in circles.

  • @GriffinsMom, my girl Lady had a suspected brain tumour when she had a seizure at 13 years of age. My vet put her on Prednisone, and things improved. She was on and off the drug for the next few years until she really started to get worse at just short of 16 years old. My vet said that for some, Prednisone seems to shrink the tumour. Of course, it would depend on size and location. I don't want to give false hope, but you might inquire about it.

Suggested Topics

  • Mojo's Toes

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    8k Views
    PawlaP
    Good news. After finishing a 14 day course of antibiotics, using antifungal/antibacterial wipes, and a switch in food, Mojo's toes are almost back to normal. Fingers (and toes) crossed that whatever he had doesn't come back. (The comment about dogs thinking bitter apple is a great basting sauce was cute. ) [image: 1529958787378-mojo-x27-s-toes-21-jun-2018-sm.jpg]
  • Its that time of year again!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • 0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    Tayda_LennyT
    Just wanted to update this thread with Dr. Gonto's response: My words in black and Dr. Gonto's in red. Do you think her results will still be accurate, given she threw up this morning? That should be fine. So long as you remind me this happened when the results are given. Not sure if an hour is enough time for her pills to be absorbed? Maybe, maybe not, but ONE dose is not going to drastically alter her baseline levels. It is just that if the gas is drawn TOO soon, then the levels are artifically high as the blood is flooded with suppliments. TOO early after pills is FAR worse then too late, for accuracy. I had already rescheduled her appointment but will be good to know for next time, just in case.
  • YOU Are Your Dog?s Advocate!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    S
    After the first few years of shots, I do the titers…no more shots except rabies by law Otherwise, they don't get them.
  • How long time?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    4k Views
    AnetteA
    Okey, thank you. Then I probably will have passed him om befor I get the kit, just have to send it to his new home then. :)
  • Kits: time to UK?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    5k Views
    lvossL
    I had my results 3 days after they recieved the kit back. But you have to check because they don't send you an email with the results.