• 0_1613594337488_FACE39B9-0235-4518-9140-47EDE3515C91.jpeg 0_1613590946503_04B6135E-E8C9-49AA-9E1C-1BA8F1FC1B3F.jpeg
    I got my Sadie girl from a shelter and they had told us that she was an Australian Shepherd/ Pointer mix. But through observing her behaviors compared to my brother’s mini Aussie, as well as my mothers Pointer, she seems to have very few characteristics of either.

I didn’t hear any sort of bark out of her until she was at least 2 y/o and the bark she has now is more like a little scruffy noise, she self grooms constantly, gets on the counters, is very independent and only gives out cuddles on her own terms, she’s AMAZING with all types of dogs, despite years of training she wanders wayyy too far whenever I let her off leash and will only come back when she’s explored all that she’s wanted to, shreds all paper products (paper towels are gold to her), digs huge holes all over the yard, chews things whenever I don’t give her enough attention, is very observant and always aware of what’s going on, will pause on walks to let people pass because she doesn’t like people walking behind her, and she doesn’t hurt cats, frogs, lizards, ducks, squirrels or chickens but she loves to stalk them and chase them. I feel like researching Basenjis has helped me understand so much more about her than I had before, but she could just be a little quirky girl made up of a beautiful mix of dog breeds. Please let me know what y’all think!

• @khayden Well, I gotta say... THAT is THE best description of behaviors I've seen for quite some time. If I hadn't seen the picture I'd be saying "Yeah, that definitely sounds Basenji to me." That I have seen the picture just further bolsters your case in my mind. I kinda like that she's fuzzy! I like her ears too. A tad too big, but really cute.

DNA Breed Test this pup!!! Another perfect candidate, in my opinion!

• @jengosmonkey thank you!!! And yes I’m saving up for a DNA test!! Thank you so much for you feedback it’s very helpful!! I’m only 20 and she’s only 5, but I love her characteristics so much that I will only be getting Basenjis for my future dogs. Safe to say that I’ve joined the club!!

• @khayden Our first Basenji was a rescue. I tip toed into it. Always thought they were a bit odd having been raised with Shelties. He was so special. We're on our second and third now. I love all kinds of dog breeds, but like you I'm hooked on Basenjis now. They just crack me up. Insane non stop entertainment and affection all the time. 😍 👍

• That sounds Basenji-like to me and even her white markings look similar. She sounds like a bundle of joy I'm glad you found her 🤗

• Shredding paper sealed it for me!

• I think the behaviors are compelling. Hope you can confirm suspicions. I am guessing one of the parents were full or half basenji. Gorgeous!

• To me, the face says, "mix", but... I'm looking forward to the DNA results!

• What a lovely community that I have stumbled upon!! Thank you all so much for your feedback y’all have no idea how much appreciate this. I will be DNA testing ASAP!!

Suggested Topics