Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?

• @italeigha Well done to the husband if he can run as fast as a Basenji after a squirrel ! Let the dog chase on its own, untethered, and let your husband enjoy the scene !

You're getting a puppy, and the best time to start training re-call is the day after he arrives with you !

• @daureen Beautiful. I have worried about the non-cuddling as far as the kids are concerned. The other dog we were considering is a Portuguese Water Dog which seems to be much more cuddly (and different in many other ways.) I had a a Basset Hound as a young child, then it was a cat for the rest of my childhood through college. She let me (only me) snuggle with her and hold her, and I credit her with getting me through those typical struggles of childhood.

• @jkent Very helpful, thank you.

• @zande I guess what I am asking is if he is running on lead with my husband, will he try to dart after anything he sees thereby disrupting the run, do you think? Or will he be able to maintain a steady course/pace for a 3 mile or so run without trying to dart off in different directions?

• @italeigha - Yes, if running and they sight a "critter" they will want to chase after, you just need to "sight" as much as they do. They will settle into a running routine but in the beginning can be a challenge! Need to keep your eyes open like they do.

• @italeigha I know what you were asking - I was just imagining any husband keeping up with a Basenji ! It makes a lovely imaginary picture !

To be entirely honest, no. I do not think he will keep up a steady pace alongside your husband. He will feel constrained, but he will follow his natural instincts inspite of the lead. He will dart here, there, cross in front, behind, trip the man up. He will want to be on the left side, and then the right, and suddenly he will STOP. Dead. For no reason that your husband can fathom.

He has seen or sensed something which is beyond the ken of man.

Three miles ? I do three on a good day when my knee isn't playing me up and Mku, my current tri-angel, does at least 8 or even 12. Assessments vary. A dog does 3, 4, even 5 times the distance over a three mile stretch. I would say Mku does a good 3.5 times what I do !

I think, if you want a steady trotting dog, docile, running along at your husband's pace for 3 miles, get another breed. If he is prepared to teach recall and has a sense of humour, or he is prepared to fit in with the Basenji's idea of how to cover those three miles, then by all means, there is no breed more satisfying to have in your life as a Basenji. Or two, or even eight.

• @zande said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@italeigha Well done to the husband if he can run as fast as a Basenji after a squirrel ! Let the dog chase on its own, untethered, and let your husband enjoy the scene !

You're getting a puppy, and the best time to start training re-call is the day after he arrives with you !

But make sure you have a safe place to let them run.... no cars.... In the US these days there is not much opportunity to find secure places to let them run loose. At least in my opinion. All depends on where you live...

• @italeigha said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@daureen Beautiful. I have worried about the non-cuddling as far as the kids are concerned. The other dog we were considering is a Portuguese Water Dog which seems to be much more cuddly (and different in many other ways.) I had a a Basset Hound as a young child, then it was a cat for the rest of my childhood through college. She let me (only me) snuggle with her and hold her, and I credit her with getting me through those typical struggles of childhood.

Remember that Basenjis are a thinking dog, if they want to cuddle with you they will, if they don't want to they will resist. If the kids are respectful of the dog, they will do just fine, but you can't force them to want to be in your lap... only on their terms.

• @tanza said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

only on their terms.

That about sums it up beautifully.

'only on their terms' applies to just about every aspect of life with a Basenji. Life is a compormise (on their terms !) the moment a B steps into the house.

• @italeigha said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@eeeefarm That is encouraging. I find myself wondering what is the best way to train when you are a family of four. Should one member of the family take the lead? Or should we all share it equally? I need to look into this. We do intend to do doggie school and just researching that.

Dogs usually do better with one person doing the training and making sure once the dog understands that the other family members are familiar with the commands when asking the dog to do something. It's very important not to send mixed messages when the dog is learning something new, and with just one person it's more likely the method will remain consistent, without the potentially confusing variations that might occur with multiple trainers.

As to the many cautions on this thread about Basenjis being difficult, they are all so individual it's hard to generalize. Although there are many common traits, each dog may have quite different reactions to people, other animals, situations, etc. Of my five, my first absolutely adored children while being aloof with adults. My second was good with young kids, but less tolerant as they got older, and she would challenge adults who wanted to move her from a comfy chair. My third was a more "bitchy" bitch, not nasty but definitely wanted her own way, and had "attitude" in abundance. She hated all dogs except for my other Basenji. My fourth was an absolute sweetheart, good with both children and adults and fine with other dogs. My fifth was leery of children but O.K. with most adults until he got older and I couldn't trust him with strangers. Much depends on their early socialization. If you have kids or expect to have them, try to find a breeder that socializes the pups with children if you can. It does make a difference. And temperament, IMO, is extremely important, so if you can meet sire and dam, or at least the dam, and see how they react to you and your children that may be a good indicator of how easily your pup may adjust to your family.

• @eeeefarm at what age do you think you can tell the temperament? My female is 6 months and wondering if she's likely to change.

• @zande Gotcha. Thanks for the information. My husband is a marathoner and qualifies for Boston, so quite fast (I can not keep up with him for sure) but yes, a series runner.... not sure he will want to deal with a dog that won't run alongside him eventually. I will be sure to dig some more on this.

• @jkent said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@eeeefarm at what age do you think you can tell the temperament? Mine female is 6 months and wondering if she's likely to change.

I think you can get an inkling early on, but things can change as they mature. At 18 months to 2 years they are growing up and may go through the "teenage" stage, becoming more willful, independent, and possibly challenging you over obedience. It's also the time they may become dog or same sex aggressive. Sometimes a pup that has been respectful and obedient may decide to "try it on" and test your leadership, and that is the time to be kind but firm. Yes, I am the boss of you! Consistency is key to having a respectful relationship with your Basenji. You cannot change the rules from day to day, and if something is out of bounds, it must continue to be out of bounds when you have company, same as raising kids! I'm wandering a bit from your question, but they do change somewhat as they mature and mostly it is for the better, as they outgrow some of the annoying habits, such as chewing inappropriate items, and generally require less close supervision, but I hasten to add, this is only true if you have made the rules of the house plain to them, and been diligent in enforcing them....

• @eeeefarm said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@jkent said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

@eeeefarm at what age do you think you can tell the temperament? Mine female is 6 months and wondering if she's likely to change.

I think you can get an inkling early on, but things can change as they mature. At 18 months to 2 years they are growing up and may go through the "teenage" stage, becoming more willful, independent, and possibly challenging you over obedience. It's also the time they may become dog or same sex aggressive. Sometimes a pup that has been respectful and obedient may decide to "try it on" and test your leadership, and that is the time to be kind but firm. Yes, I am the boss of you! Consistency is key to having a respectful relationship with your Basenji. You cannot change the rules from day to day, and if something is out of bounds, it must continue to be out of bounds when you have company, same as raising kids! I'm wandering a bit from your question, but they do change somewhat as they mature and mostly it is for the better, as they outgrow some of the annoying habits, such as chewing inappropriate items, and generally require less close supervision, but I hasten to add, this is only true if you have made the rules of the house plain to them, and been diligent in enforcing them....

This why it is important to go with a responsible breeder, tell them what you are looking for and what you want to do with your Basenji.... and this is why a responsible breeder will "pick" the puppy that best suits your lifestyle

• But above all, establish yourself OR your husband as the Alpha, pack leader, with love, understanding and discipline from the start.

There will be constant challenges from the Basenji, which is why you need patience and a sense of humour, but whatever you do, don't break into peals of laughter or all discipline will be lost.

I would suggest whoever is most with the Basenji takes on the Alpha roll. Whoever feeds him. But the children must be disciplined too.

As long as the Basenji wants to play, fine. But he or she will let them know when playtime is over and they must respect that.

• @zande said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

whatever you do, don't break into peals of laughter or all discipline will be lost.

This is probably the hardest thing, because Basenjis can be so charming and their antics when caught out doing something they shouldn't make it very difficult to suppress laughter, but if you do laugh it is reinforcing for them and they will likely repeat the behaviour to get your reaction again.

• @tanza said in Considering a Basenji. Thoughts?:

All depends on where you live...

I thought she said she was moving to somewhere with large grounds.

• Zande, Guess I am lost because I frequently laugh with Prince, He makes my heart sing. He just looks at me, cocks his head, and I feel like he is thinking "I have done my good deed for the day". I absolutely a lot of his cooperation thus far is out of love...his bond and love for me so far is very strong. But that said, if he doesn't want to be near me, he will sit on the sofa at the other end and just look at me and refuse to come closer. I let him be...love and cuddles are always on his terms. Generally, he will look at the ceiling, then at the floor, then over his back (this is when I laugh) and he will come up to me an flop down. All is right with my world.

• Very hard not to laugh when they steal something and run off doing the victory trot!

• @daureen as long as you realise you are lost, and are happy to be so, I'm sure you and Prince will get along fine. Basenjis are often aware they have done wrong and challenge you to pick up on it in the most delightful ways.

Which is why, when I had 8 of these house pe(s)ts, I would make a song and dance over little things and give the impression more serious misdemeanors didn't bother me in the slightest. We got along fine that way.

Suggested Topics