Skip to content

Off leash

Basenji Training

Suggested Topics

  • My dog snuck out the front door off leash tonight.

    Moved Basenji Training
    30
    0 Votes
    30 Posts
    11k Views
    elbrantE
    First, the pic of her in the too big (for now) vest is adorable!! @roguecoyote said in My dog snuck out the front door off leash tonight.: but I'm aware that extra weight isn't good for the breed, I think that the issue with the added weight is related to her age. Once she is fully grown (12-18 months?) she should be able to carry some supplies: a baggy of kibble, a typical water bottle.... Things you might want on hand if you were going to go for a hike in the woods. Just let her grow up a bit first so that her muscles and bones are strong enough.
  • leash reactivity vs aggression

    Basenji Training
    4
    1 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    tanzaT
    I would never use a harness...and I do not recommend its use for any pups that I place, especially on a young dog of any breed... it restricts their movement and can lead (IMO) to problems later on as they need to adjust their strides to compensate for restrictive front end movement... Especially for any dog that might be a show dog and a pet... (as my are).... Try a head harness that works like with horses...
  • Getting enough Exercise- off leash

    Basenji Training
    10
    0 Votes
    10 Posts
    11k Views
    AlexA
    We only let Chance and Kiya off leash in the backyard and we do take them on long leashed walks to the park, which is good for us and them. Basenji's are sighthounds, so any sight of a squirrel or a bird will send them on a chase.
  • Lost on the other side of the leash

    Basenji Training
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    4k Views
    N
    Thanks a lot, a lot! I am going to make a couple of phone calls since there are two trainers that I see are not too far away. It might work! I will let you know :)
  • Beach "Leash"

    Basenji Training
    13
    0 Votes
    13 Posts
    7k Views
    MacPackM
    I used one of those giant 'corkscrew' tie-outs at the beach and had 3 attached to it. I put it as deep in the sand as I could get it and it didn't budge…of course the sand was packed, rather than 'fluffy'. Be sure and provide an umbrella for shade, they get hot and like to go in and out of shade. Mine don't like the water, but do enjoy the beach! Anne in Tampa
  • Leash training

    Basenji Training
    42
    0 Votes
    42 Posts
    40k Views
    K
    These front-attaching harnesses work really well in my experience. As soon as the dog starts to pull, it will turn itself towards you, slowing it down. Otherwise the dog has every bit of freedom to do what it wants.