Skip to content

Rescue pup. Basenji?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    ZandeZ
    Last I heard, the Breed Club secretaries had more people waiting or wanting pups than were available . You could get on a list for a Basenji next winter but I very much doubt you will find one still unsold. Go to the website of the BCGB, or the Northern Basenji Society as you are in the North and you will find email addresses of the secretaries. They will put you in touch with breeders who may be planning a litter for puppies to become ready to leave the nest in about a year's time. Its a long wait I know, but you have most probably missed the boat for now. You are welcome to post me privately. Good luck!
  • Basenji rescued from pond in Colorado!!

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    S
    Thanks heavens for the folks who will do this rescue for an animal in need.
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Rescue Basenji sighting

    Basenji Talk
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    11k Views
    thunderbird8588T
    @DebraDownSouth: By original, do you mean the breeders or are they the ones who turned her over to rescue? Glad she is in a loving home! Debra, it is Lolly's original owner who was concerned for her, for some reason she had to give her up, the second owner put her with the dogs trust instead of giving her back. Lolly came originaly from a petshop :eek: I have now on request from Lolly's new owner been able to put them in touch with each other so that information can be shared. Lolly seems as if she's got a super new home.
  • Is she a basenji

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    22k Views
    W
    lol usually when you breed a bigger dog to a smaller dog the Male is the tiny one. Its just dangerous to do it the other way around. As far as DNA breed testing I would go for it if I could. But i am just interested in those kinds of tests. We offer them at our clinic but i haven't ever seen results for them.