Skip to content

How much puppy exercise?

Basenji Talk
  • I've got a 9 week trindle girl, and she really loves being outside in the city to meet people. However, she wants to RUN, and we take her out four times a day! I've read puppies this age only need 10-15 minutes a day of vigorous exercise and shouldn't be over worked, but do basenji puppies need more? We stop as soon as she stops, but it's clear sometimes she pushes herself a bit much. Any advice on moderating puppy exercise?

  • Our pups would run till they drop... LOL.... we have a very large yard and they play hard. Even raising our litters pups were out doors as much as possible to play... or indoors for that matter. I have never restricted exercise. That said it was their play, not forced like jogging or biking... and it was on grass, not hard pavement. Sounds like you are doing just fine with her.
    Who did you get her from? Many of us are related by our Basenjis.

  • I agree with @tanza, there should never be any forced exercise until the bones 'set'. like a human baby until their skull sets, or a race horse are not allowed to race until they are two, so as to allow the bones to set. If they collapse because of their own induced tiredness, then that is okay, but never push them until they are well over 12 months, at least. You are doing right.

  • Thanks so much! Makes me feel better. And I got her from Nocturnal Kennels in NC.

  • Pups will know how much exercise they can cope with and when they are done - they sleep. Main thing is not to force them - no road work at all, for example - until they are 16 or so weeks old and then only in short trips. Then take it easy for a year until they are structurally mature

  • @condesa said in How much puppy exercise?:

    Thanks so much! Makes me feel better. And I got her from Nocturnal Kennels in NC.

    Are the sire/dam DNA tested for Fanconi and PRA? Did you check for yourself at www.ofa.org as DNA tests for Fanconi/PRA are public posted for the results. If not you should have your girl tested. It is a cheek swab that you do yourself. You can order it at www.ofa.org and the cost is 65.00 for each test (Fanconi & PRA)

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    19 Posts
    13k Views
    ZandeZ
    @tanza So have I. Nary a problem.
  • My pup

    Basenji Talk
    9
    7 Votes
    9 Posts
    10k Views
    A
    Super cute! No dimes at my house.......
  • Where to find a puppy?

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    @skameykin22 said in Where to find a puppy?: And as a test? ? Sorry what test?
  • Clever Puppy?

    Basenji Talk
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    @lvoss: It has been raining most of the day here and L'Ox has been unenthusiastic to say the least about going outside. He has been doing really well on potty training and is starting to ask to go out but you could tell every time he actually got outside he was horrified by all the wet. So his remedy was to run to the edge of the covered porch and pee and rush back in. His dilemma was how to do the rest of his business without melting in the rain? So while I was in the kitchen gathering up the dog dishes I hear a clatter and see a little puppy butt escaping into the garage through the cat door. I follow him out there only to find him pooping near the cat's litter box. I guess I should be glad that he seems to be using his brain for good rather than evil right now. My little girl was like that but got out of the habit. She realized that going in the house was naughty (she wouldn't go on the toilet training mats we got her) and even though she hated her feet wet she went on the grass anyway and when she came inside she did the basenji thing and she licked it off her feet.
  • Exercise?

    Basenji Talk
    23
    0 Votes
    23 Posts
    20k Views
    L
    We alternate between 8-mile bike rides, 3-mile runs, or assorted runs, hikes, walks. Loki and Freya get rather restless if they don't get at least 3 miles in every day (they are only 2.5 years old and have lots of energy). Sometimes, if we go for a long hike where there is no water, I will even make them carry water bottles for everyone in saddlebags. That way, the bags get progressively lighter as we drink the water. If I didn't bring enough water, I will actually make them carry rocks. People get this funny look on their faces when you tell them that the dogs are carrying rocks… Since the bags are red, people tend to think that they are search and rescue dogs... They actually love carrying their saddlebags as it gives them a job and they "suffer" less from Basenji "ADD". :-) Loki & Freya's Mom
  • Exercise Pens

    Basenji Talk
    31
    0 Votes
    31 Posts
    20k Views
    tanzaT
    Linoleum works great under xpens. That is what I use for puppy's also… and also did the same, much bigger then the pen itself. However, I would suggest that you might want to put a tarp under the linoleum also over the carpet... sometimes if it get really wet.. it can kind of stick to the carpet or if you have wood/laminate floors....