First off, I'd like to say that this forum has been a wonderful source for all the basenji reasearch I've been doing. Thanks!
Me and my girlfriend decided a couple weeks ago that we'd like to get a puppy. Her allergies required that we get a dog that has very little shedding, and it has turned out that a basenji is a great dog for us.
She is going this weekend to pick up the puppy. It will be a 9-week old male, coming from a backyard breeder.
I just have a couple questions on all of your experiences with your basenjis.
1. I've read several times that a bored basenji is a bad basenji. As a puppy, how much excercise does it take to tire him out? I know it varies by dog, but how much did it take for you guys?
2. I understand that a basenji is a very mischevious dog, and can't be left alone un-caged. Does this change with age/training? Will we eventually be able to leave the dog out when we aren't watching?
3. Do basenji's require any special type of : leash, collar, food, cage, etc.?
4. One place that I was doing research said that I shouldn't leave my basenji's collar on when I bring him inside. Is this true?
5. Are Basenji's particularly hard to crate-train or potty train? How long did it take you to train yours?
Thanks for all your help! I'll try and keep you all updated as I finally get to meet him this weekend.