• ![0_1564266450349_IMG_0682.jpg](Uploading 73%)
    I just got him last November and this spring after him shedding his fur grew in a golden yellow. The fur is coarse and it is sprinkled all over his back.
    Has anyone experienced this before?
    He will be 8 this August and i'm not sure if is old age.
    ![0_1564266350449_IMG_0684.jpg](Uploading 100%)

• 0_1564267374262_IMG_0684 (2).jpg
    I just got him last November and this spring after him shedding his fur grew in a golden yellow. The fur is coarse and it is sprinkled all over his back.
    Has anyone experienced this before?
    He will be 8 this August and i'm not sure if is old age.
    0_1564267356526_IMG_0682 (1).jpg

• When I lived in North Bay my girl Lady grew quite a coat in winter and thereafter was never as sleek as my others that were raised in milder climates. Beyond that, I haven't got a clue, unless it's related somehow to diet. He looks like a sweetheart and I love his name! (Game of Thrones fan here)

• @fosse
    Tyrion - you are Gorgeous!!

• Try brushing him. You will see if the old hair is still hanging on and needs some coaxing - but not too hard. While you have his mind on something else, do his nails as they might need the benefit of a Dremel. Old hair is often yellowish.

• Get hold of a human hair preparation for greasy scalps. Squeeze a couple of centimeters into your hand and rub them lightly together. Massage the gel into the Basenji. Leave for 20 minutes or a couple of hours depending on the severity of the loose hair and then brush out. A riding glove works wonders cos of the bobbles on the palm. I also use a hacksaw blade bent into a sort of ring - i.e. you fix the two ends together and that gives you a choice of harsh or less harsh blade. Use this as a comb.

Mine absolutely love this sort of treatment. You can almost hear cat-like purring !

• @fosse My red and white girl had two coats. One very coarse and red looking, almost hedgehog spike looking. Under that was another coat, very fine and light brown / creamy colored. She would shed the fine coat but it would come out in clumps rather than uniformly. It also changed as she got older, at times it looked like the had some sort of hair problem because it was so patchy, but it was normal. We bought a fine comb called a Furminator and it was very effective at removing the fine undercoat.

• Very normal.... note however that Basenjis do not have an undercoat. The golden yellow is the dead hair.

Suggested Topics