Skip to content

Basenji or Decker Rat Terrier?

Basenji Talk

Suggested Topics

  • Is she a basenji ?

    Basenji Talk
    50
    4 Votes
    50 Posts
    29k Views
    KembeK
    Looks can be so deceiving- here is an article of a woman who adopted a rescue dog in N.J. Dog looks like a basenji - even her vet thought it might be basenji. She did an Embark DNA test - no basenji. Turned out the dog was a mixture of Mountain Cur, Rat Terrier, Beagle, and Boston Terrier. link text
  • Rat Terrier-Basenji mix

    Moved Basenji Talk
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    16k Views
    H
    @zande I know that I’m lucky to have found him! I hope he feels that he lucked out, too. Actually, I don’t care very much what “mix” he is. I had just never heard of basenjis before my Vet mentioned it. He doesn’t have a long tail - it seems to have been clipped. The barking is only when he hears someone approach my apartment door or if someone comes in that he doesn’t know. I’m working on desensitizing him to the latter. He DOES make noises like the dog in the videos below make & he grooms himself quite a bit. He DOES NOT play with toys. Don’t know if that’s breed specific or just Jack! He also isn’t too active; he’d be happy to sit on my lap or with his face in my arm pit all day!
  • The Other Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    I read your blog and find it kind of confusing and ….. your comment about "messing with ..." hmmmmmmm.... Anyhow, yes, it is so cool when you come across another basenji, because they totally understand each other and how they want to play. We were fortunate once to have another basenji play chase with Kipawa at a dog park. I just don't think there are many basenjis in the Lower Mainland. :(
  • Basenji Song-Moon Over Basenji

    Basenji Talk
    7
    0 Votes
    7 Posts
    12k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Oh Barklessdog, you are a brave person. I must now stand with you in insane-solidarity and admit I bought it too. It is awful but when you get the line "we couldn't say goodbye so we took him home" part, you know you got to help support the woman. lol
  • Is this a Basenji??

    Basenji Talk
    20
    0 Votes
    20 Posts
    18k Views
    G
    My Basenji Billy is quite undershot; he's a purebred, his bottom jaw just didn't stop growing when it was supposed to. That's okay, I'm a bit of a sucker for a dog with an underbite anyway.:) He was my first rescue Basenji.
  • Boston Terrier 2, Basenji Energizer Bunny no limit

    Basenji Talk
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    8k Views
    QuercusQ
    @MacPack: I learned some years ago that black basenjis get much hotter than reds, that black coat absorbs the sun. My 14 year old red girl was going strong when the 1 1/2 year old black boy drug us under a tree and threw himself down in the cool grass, panting. I always take water along, and try and make sure they aren't overheated, but I see so many people out running with a dog (here in Florida) with no water for the dog. It makes me sad and angry! Also among red basenjis, some can stand the heat much better than others. One of my girls, her son, and also her mother wilt very easily in the heat. They pant easily, and like to seek out the shade quickly.