Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues

• @eeeefarm I do get that and don’t disagree with your opinion. The statement “Royal Canin Satiety is sawdust” is a lie and not accurate. Nor is the statement “BRaT wanted me to feed my dog sawdust” correct, again a lie and qualified by the self admitted fact that they were open to other alternatives. I was asked for one provable lie, per the post “Unless you can prove she lied or defamed BRAT, you are doing the same to her.”

Many things come from other origins, plastics and gasoline from refining oil. Yet to say plastic or gasoline is oil is a provable lie.

A real simple way to prove the point here, take two dogs and feed one the Royal Canin, feed the other sawdust for six months. Would you do that? No, obviously because Royal Canin is not sawdust.

Aside from the fact that she claims it cost $150 a month for food. Sure, I donate to BRaT to help basenjis less fortunate than my own, so that they can spend two or three times more on their dog food. With the caveat of a dog that actually does need a special diet as per a qualified veterinarian.

• @dagodingo said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

. With the caveat of a dog that actually does need a special diet as per a qualified veterinarian.

I have a huge problem with veterinarians prescribing a food that they sell and make money on. It's called conflict of interest. No, Royal Canin is not exclusively "sawdust" or cellulose, so your comparison isn't really valid. Obviously nobody would opt to feed their dog an exclusive sawdust diet. And a little bit of "poetic license" for effect is pretty common on line. Not something to get your knickers in a twist over, IMO. This whole thread has gotten seriously overheated, and only one poster has a truly emotional reason to exaggerate, so maybe cut her some slack?

• "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Sir Isaac Newton

@westcoastflea1 said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Who does this?

You did this, Heather. The choices you made set this in motion.

BRAT explained that you could adopt Declan by signing a piece of paper. You refused? Why would you refuse? Declan would have been yours. Your dog. And the only thing you would have needed was a few extra dollars every month. $15-20 for food, and $25/month put to the side for his annual checkup and shots. Easy enough. Not the end of the world. Sounds "do-able", right?

But you refused to sign a piece of paper.... what did you expect to happen? Did you think BRAT would just "go away" and forget about it all? Now your upset that Animal Control is coming to pick the dog up?

@westcoastflea1 said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Brat wanted Animal Control to come and they hoped I was stupid enough to let Animal Control on my property, examine Declan, and take him to the vet,

BRAT has requested that Animal Control pick Declan up to be seen by a Vet. At which point, a BRAT representative will probably come to pick Declan up. You should not expect Declan to return to your home.

If Declan is this viscious animal that attacks everyone, he "might" be put down. If Declan is well behaved, he "might" just go to another foster home to be assessed. The determining factor will probably rely on whether the Vet says he is or isn't managable.

Your quote from the email you received, stating that, "she has frantically called all vets and no one would see Declan if he was still with me" indicates that the Vets are willing to treat Declan.

@debradownsouth is right. The authorities can appear at your door and just take the dog. You need to understand: they can arrest you if you try to resist them. Be very careful, Heather. Please.

you don't take a dog abused as puppy and make it all magically vanish,

Declan was put in your care 8(?) years ago... So, why haven't you resolved these issues? Is he still a territorial biter who is is anxious, insecure, and doesn't want to be touched? After being in your home and care for eight years? Eight years and this viscious dog provides so much "emotional support" for you that you call him your ESA and desparately want to keep him?

These two concepts are conflicted. An ESA dog that isn't adoptable? You are painting pictures of two different dogs. One that might not be adoptable, and one that is. So which is it?

Declan is either a loving support dog, or
    Declan bites anyone who tries to touch him, doesn't want you on "his" couch, and displays anxious and insecure behaviors.

Harsh as it might seem... none of this really adds up and it suggests that you are running some sort of scam.
    Are you lying about Declan being "unadoptable" so that you can keep him while BRAT pays for his care?
    Is he really that sick with all these medical issues?
    Between the $350/mont in meds and $150/month for food... is that just an extra $500/month in your pocket?

• @eeeefarm

“and only one poster has a truly emotional reason to exaggerate, so maybe cut her some slack?”

I will NEVER cut any slack for people who abuse animals period.

Yes, vets do sometimes have a conflict of interest. A good vet weighs the benefits of the food versus the risks. For a dog that is very obese and very hungry, feeding something that contains a filler like cellulose is considered appropriate.

I fed my dog with high liver enzymes Royal Canin, before that I tried Dr Dodd’s liver detox and it sent her enzymes up. They came back down a little on the Royal Canin liver diet. Do I feed my healthy dog Royal Canin now? No because I believe I have better quality foods that I trust more.

• @elbrant said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." Sir Isaac Newton

Declan is either a loving support dog, or
    Declan bites anyone who tries to touch him, doesn't want you on "his" couch, and displays anxious and insecure behaviors.

Actually, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Way too much judging going on here. Not much in the way of sympathy or help. Eight years is a long time to struggle with a difficult animal, and a lot of emotional investment. None of us are in a position to know what this dog and care giver are to each other, or whether separation at this point would be helpful or harmful. But I do know that kicking someone when they are down is not a course of action I would recommend or take part in.

• This post is deleted!

• I think you spend too much time bashing BRAT.
    -Joanne

• @giza1 BRaT are an excellent and responsible advocate for basenjis, as shown by their actions throughout this ordeal. Thank you for what all the members do for these dogs. It reassures me to know my contributions go to a worthy cause that uses the funds responsibly.

• @elbrant said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Dogs that are in a healthy environment are not anxious and insecure."

Not true. Dogs can be unstable, not necessarily related to their home.

Nor is it true you have to own an emotional support dog. They are not the same as Service dogs, but Service Dogs also do not have to be owned by the person. Some organizations train, place dogs, take back if there are issues or the dog is aging, etc.

Nor do you know what was meant for Declan. A dog with bite issues that is deemed by a rescue to not be adoptable could likely stay in one home as long as it lives.

• @westcoastflea1 said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

that BRAT would actually attempt to have Animal Control take, by BRATS own admission, any red and white on my property

Without you taping the officer, you have no proof. Nor does the officer's comment prove anything. How many basenjis do you have on your property? Are none tattooed or microchipped? Can you place/rehome other dogs so your finances are better?

I am fairly sure any judge would require proof the seized dog is BRATS'... a potentially good thing you don't know how to upload photos as they could be used. '

You continue to say you won't accept Brat stopping medical care/food payment. The bottom line is that unless the contract states they are liable until the dog dies, they can choose to cease funding. In a court, the vets who will no longer work with you will give a heavy mark against your complying with care.

You are at a point of having to accept they are not going to fund his care further. Use the energy you are wasting on the horrible personal attacks you have been subjected to here, the anger at BRAT, all of the negative emotions, and work on how you can find a way to fund his needs. Using your own analogy, you aren't being the mother running in to save your child. Your actions are not helping... so you are the crying mother. Be the other mother... do a go fund me to help tide you over while you find means to care for him. A week on this board under constant abuse has done nothing positive. Turn your back on it and start brainstorming with people who want to help you.

• @eeeefarm said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Way too much judging going on here. Not much in the way of sympathy or help.

I'm not judging her ... but I am trying to give her a "wake up" call. There are so many inconsistancies that I'm having trouble decoding what's what.... and she keeps tossing new things into the mix. Now there's a post saying how are they going to know which dog is which? ... Helloooo microchip! But, how many dogs does she have? We don't know her. We don't know how much of this is true and how much is a farce.

I do believe that she is caring for this dog, Declan, in a foster home capacity for BRAT.
    I do believe that the local Veterinarians are taking a hard pass.

We aren't all fans of tough love, but I don't know what else to offer. She's in a terrible spot and if she doesn't start thinking clearly, she could destroy her life. Of course, that will be BRAT's fault too, right?

• @debradownsouth said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Not true. Dogs can be unstable, not necessarily related to their home.

Realistically, after eight years, I would expect a dog to have "settled in".

Nor is it true you have to own an emotional support dog. They are not the same as Service dogs, but Service Dogs also do not have to be owned by the person. Some organizations train, place dogs, take back if there are issues or the dog is aging, etc.

An ESA is typically a companion dog, like your pet. They normally live with you... which is why pet deposits and pet rent is legally waived.

Nor do you know what was meant for Declan.

I never said that I did. I don't claim to see the future. I do believe Declan's fate will be determined (at least in part) by the Veterinarian that sees him. And no, I don't think they will be returning Declan to this foster home. @westcoastflea1 needs to be prepared for that. Feeding fantasies that she's not going to give this dog to Animal Control (or BRAT) won't help her.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• @westcoastflea1 said in Brat Rescue and Transport; How they really treat rescues:

Yet the arguments here over everything but Declan's well being.

You are the one that is supposed to be concerned about Declan's well being. You, as the "Foster Mom", and BRAT, as the rightful owner. And right now you and BRAT are at odds... it's like Mom and Dad are fighting and you are putting all of us in the middle of it.

I'm sure BRAT has a photo of this dog. Declan has been seen by Veterinarians and they may have his picture in their files as well. And Declan is probably microchipped. So, yes, expect that they can identify him.

I consider it unlikely, but not impossible, that Animal Control would be taking Declan for a 7pm Vet visit. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't transport him then. They can transport him pretty much any time it's convenient for them. If they haven't picked him up yet, please be preparred for it.

This will be much easier for Declan if you pick him up and place him in the carrier yourself. As opposed to an Animal Control officer doing it. Yelling and screaming and raising a fuss will only confuse and upset him. It won't stop them from doing their jobs. Please choose to make this as easy on Declan as you can.

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

• This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics