• I kind of want to say Basenji/Staffordshire... something about the muscular structure of the chest/forelegs. Add me to the "more pics" list, please. 🙂

• @milwaukeebasenji said in Basenji Corgi Mix? Help!:

@eeeefarm She's adorable and an odd looking little thing, she seems very submissive and sweet. That being said, I can't understand the wanting to mix the two breeds intentionally..? They seem like an unusual cross.

These days there are a lot of breed crosses being experimented with, some that seem to have taken off in popularity ("Doodles" of various types), and there appears to be a lucrative market. Unfortunately I suspect many of these "breeders" haven't looked into the science of breeding and may produce less than desirable results. That said, all breeds came from attempts to "design" a dog suited to a specific purpose, and one of the difficulties with closed registries is the inbreeding coefficient and subsequent loss of heterozygosity. Fixing type comes at a price.

• @elbrant That was my first thought but her face is SO petite and narrow, it throws me off. I'll try to take some better body pictures tomorrow!

• OMG! Whatever she is - she is ADORABLE! Looks like she’s full of mischief! Congratulations! Best wishes for a happy life together! She is BEAUTIFUL!

• You have a cutie!

Definitely looks like a Basenji to me. However, we ran into a woman who had a dog that looked nothing like a Basenji but the DNA test said the Basenji genes were the largest contributor. The point is that since it's very hard to tell the breed by looks, if you care do a DNA test. They're not expensive and simple to do. Not perfect of course but 100X better than anyone's guess.

• I checked out this dog last week. Picture faulty. No Basenji what so ever. More Chihuahua Corgi mix.

• Does it really matter ? she'll be a wonderful, challenging handful anyway - cute little person !

• Her body looks like my beagle am staff mix. I think maybe a
    Staffordshire basenji mix.

• @zande absolutely, I don’t adopt for the breed specifically and never have. Was just curious! Our rescue border collie is the best that’s ever happened to us.

• @y64dogs you think so? I thought her picture was pretty accurate. Time will tell I guess! She’s super sweet though.

• @eeeefarm 2_1561642523919_Ginny.jpg 1_1561642523919_Ginny 2.jpg 0_1561642523919_Ginny 1.jpg

Finally have updated pics! Any better guess now?

• @elbrant 0_1561642728096_ginny 4.jpg Just added them below 🙂 She was just spayed so don't mind her surgical suit lol

• I have no doubt about the Basenji part. Corgi? Maybe, but anyhow something shorter and longer. If I only saw her face, I would say purebred Basenji!

• Pics very like originals. I personally see almost no corgi or esp chi.

Bad indiscriminate byb breeder,
    Praise for the lucky dog and adopter for finding her a loving home

• @debradownsouth well it wasn’t a breeder luckily, it was just a shelter. If no basenji, what do you think she’d be?

• I don't think Debra is saying no Basenji, I think she is implying a bad breeder creating off type. Correct me if I'm wrong, Debra. And many dogs end up in shelters for various reasons, even some that have been purchased for big bucks.

Most legitimate breeders want to take their unwanted dogs back, but some people dispose of them in other ways. A breeder I know had to make an emergency trip to Florida when she found out one of her dogs was being offered to whoever would take him, and if no takers he was to be euthanized! She picked him up and found him a good home, but it was a near thing.

• @milwaukeebasenji
    Thanks confusing post. kindle is killing me. Hope the edit it more clear.

• I said that I could not see corgi or Chihuahua . I most definitely see Basenji . Beyond that only a DNA test will give any idea . A breeder that breeds mixed breeds and untested and poorly bred purebreds is not a responsible breeder . Yes a breeder could be wanting their dog back as eeee mentioned, but then in today's world most puppies are leaving the breeder already microchip.

• @debradownsouth oh!!! Yes the more we get to know her, the more I’m leaning towards basenji being correct. She’s an obsessive licker of both us and herself, and contorts her body around to lick her entire back. And oh my she can jump... it’s almost like she levitates and it takes no effort. We’re going to DNA test her in a couple of weeks, possible with Embark. I’ve heard it’s better than the wisdom panel.

• I will be very interested to know the results of that test. Oh, yes, they can jump! When we moved to our present location my Perry did a three foot hop from a standstill on a slippery hardwood floor right over the back of the sofa, rather than walk around to the front of it. He did not touch down on the sofa back, but cleared it cleanly. And without apparent effort.

Suggested Topics