Skip to content

dreaming of a Basenji girl... (ILM)

Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
  • @marcorilli said in dreaming of a Basenji girl... (ILM):

    @tanza every brindle basenji I’ve seen including the one I bought was cheaper then all the other colors. Mine was 500 along with all the others I saw online. I was also told by the training company we went to who have been training dogs for 50+ years that brindles are harder to train because their color comes from their dna. I didn’t know that I was told that by a professional.

    You should probably find a more informed trainer and most definitely more responsible breeder next time. You have been misinformed.

  • @tanza
    First, I responded to the first post and missed the rest of this. So ignore rescue suggestion.

    And absolutely responsible breeders decide who gets what puppy!

    Yes, there have been some studies linking temperament in mammals to colors. But the issue was more related to the " popular stud" syndrome than a genetic tie between color and temperament.

    Second thought is Shirley disagreeing about being handled in the show ring equaling good temperament. Having personally met a few Lhasa Apsos and talked to a few Westminster competitor breeders, there are some utterly nasty ones who like the ring and tolerate handling. Also, there was a Rottweiler champion who was so human aggressive out of the ring he was legendary.

    But obviously breeders want a solid temperament. In today's world with the internet, bad temperaments will sink your reputation.

    On culling, in farm animals it often meant kill. In Germany, the club dog wardens used to require large litters to be culled. They stopped a long time ago, but GSD and Rottie people still talk about it. But in dog breeding, it's generally remove from the breeding pool. Though a lot of Bulldog breeders euthanize pups with cleft palates. I guess I do not want to pretend culling never means killing.

  • doodleBug

    Testing image link...

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji wanted

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    CrazySenjiC
    Where are you located? I have several breeders to recommend in the midwest! In the meantime, checking the BCOA list as Tanza suggested is a good place to start. Be warned though, puppies are being born this time of the year and many breeders have waiting lists!
  • Wanted - Basenji or Basenji mix

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Where are you located? There are actually a lot of options. Sadly, as of late, not a lot of basenjis being posted to BRAT. There are other rescues, including a great rescue for basenjis in Florida and California. Also, if you can't find a suitable rescue, please consider young and adults from breeders that they have decided don't fit their breeding plan. They also need and make great pets.
  • Basenji

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    5k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    Ignore the above from jurytan who is obviously a spammer. This is the UK breed club list of breeders: http://www.basenjiclubofgb.org/breeders.php Another club listing: http://www.northernbasenji.org.uk/
  • 0 Votes
    33 Posts
    28k Views
    K
    Just wondering if you found a home for this pup?
  • Looking for Basenji

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    5k Views
    J
    He has never owned a Basenji before no, but he has researched them. Thank you for the info. I will talk to him.
  • Basenji Mix

    Basenjis For Sale or Wanted
    6
    0 Votes
    6 Posts
    8k Views
    ChaseandZahrasmomC
    Tucker, There are also a few B's in Virginia right from BRAT if your friend is interested in any of those I can transport to Philly - my sister lives there and I make trips up as much as I can.