Skip to content

Precautions

Basenji Health Issues & Questions
  • What are the basic precautions used to take while taking basenji at home with kids..

  • Vigilance is key

  • Sorry no one saw this earlier. I think we need some more info. Are the kids and basenji going to be living together or just visiting? Age of kids? Age of basenji? Has the basenji been around kids before? Are the kids respectful of the basenji? Do the kids tend to run out the door w/o closing it? Are they old enough to help clicker train the basenji? There's a lot of info on the web about kids and dogs, I'd start with Dr Sophia Yin or Dr Patricia McConnell. Basenjis can be less tolerant than other breeds, but they can get on fine with considerate children.

Suggested Topics

  • 0 Votes
    4 Posts
    292 Views
    N
    No sore spots whatsoever - though his stomach is almost permanently "taut" or flexed, unless he's had his anti-inflammatory meds. He eats well and can go to the bathroom well, but as days pass his hind legs are getting worse and worse (to the extent I'm sure he'll just end up permanently lame if I don't anything more). I am praying/hoping/wishing that laser therapy can provide some assistance, as his one session of a few weeks back resulted in him being almost "back to normal" for about 4-5 days! If I can get another miracle result, I think I will look into multiple treatments until he seems better. This is such a stressful time, but I'm grateful for your condolences/suggestions - everything helps - thank you so much!
  • 0 Votes
    3 Posts
    26k Views
    N
    @Saving Thanks so much for the information! I am researching further and continuing with her rehab exercises as best I can. Glad you recovered from your spinal injuries.
  • Belly Rash

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    24k Views
    SavingS
    Did she always have them or did they start after something/some time? Do antihistamines clear the problem?
  • Crystals in urine (cystine)

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    13k Views
    senjisillyS
    Sorry to be so late on commenting here. There are several Facebook groups you may want to join. 2 are Basenji specific. Bladder Stones Basenji - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1505737939475808/ Canine Cystinuria - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1264949876904169/ The third group is secret and you need to be Facebook friends with a member in order to join. Contact me if you are interested in joining - Basenji Cystine Bladder Stone Awareness.
  • Harness Bold Spot

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    8
    0 Votes
    8 Posts
    12k Views
    V
    thank you everyone! The collar is ordered :-)
  • Not Interested In Eating His Food!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    32
    1 Votes
    32 Posts
    14k Views
    KebasmomK
    @Mmasco If you are still here will you please update me on your pup? I'm interested because I have two of Rocket Man's litter mates.