Juniper, the brindle from Colorado

• Many Happies, Juniper!

• Happy First Birthday Juniper, love the squirrel photo and Kaiser does the plop down after his walks as he knows it is time to get his feet washed and it delays the horrible experience of getting wet especially when I forget to let the water to warm up.

Jolanda and Kaiser

• We could start a Low Country Basenji Club here (we're below sea level in this part of the Netherlands)

• First Basenji's

Happy First BarooDay Juniper! Love the outdoor shots when she is au-natural! She has grown into a very attractive bridle girl indeed! Loved the previous photos of her asleep around your shoulders!

• Hah, love the balancing act pic. Mine do the exact same thing on our nightstands if we leave anything that is attractive to them there.

• Love her outdoor clothes - tried to put booties on mine once - she tore those off faster than I could get them on - forget trying to walk in them, simply laid down and started chewing - off they came, one two three - before four was on!

• My Basenji doesn't know he's about to be 3 on the the 20th
    Happy 1 Juniper

• Yep that balancing act is her on our nightstand. There's never anything interesting up there but she just HAS to investigate because she can stretch over to it from the bed. I almost think she does it purely for the fun of that stretch.

To get the boots on her takes the two us, my girlfriend and I. We put her sweater, harness, and leash on, then one of us holds her while the other gets the back boots then the front boots on. Then we put her down and start walking immediately so she doesn't have time to bother with the boots. As long as we get moving right away (why we get her completely ready to go then put boots on last) her excitement to go outside for a walk overcomes her annoyance of what the heck is going on with her feet. She still always walks like she's stepping on egg-shells at first but after a few feet of brisk walking she relaxes and just goes. With the sweater and boots she can handle 30 minutes of walking in sub-freezing temps so they really help us get her exercised during the winter.

Thanks for all the baroo day wishes!

• Happy Birthday Juniper!

Boots are great for warmth and to protect against road salt. I think my guy walks like a horse that has just been bandaged up for his first few steps when he's wearing his. Putting them on isn't an issue, although I would not leave him alone with them. "Leave it" is such a useful command! (but you have to develop the right "growl" when you say it!) 😉

• We discovered a 2nd dog park within 20 minutes of our apartment…but this place is an extra 77 acres more than our closest dog park which is 3 acres! I don't know how nice or big dog parks are outside of the USA but I can say that this place may be the nicest dog park in the nation. It's on a national park with a reservoir fed by a creek. The dog park portion is fenced off and has bags, trash cans, water fountains, and people potties conveniently located. The main attraction is a half mile strip of creek bed with a running creek and usually a dozen or so wile water dogs...a conflicting situation for a playful Basenji that treats water like she's a cat! On the weekends there could be as many as 100 dogs there!
    Here's a video I made of our adventures so far at the two nearby dog parks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk3LyT9aw6M

Suggested Topics