Electric fence?
  • A

Does anyone have an electric fence with their basenji??? I want my boy to roam free in my yard and get exercise, and I cant get an actual fence

• A

Nevermind, I don't think I want to do that to my baby

• V

I haven't heard any success stories with electronic fences for Bs. I know my 2 would ignore it, especially if they saw a critter that needed chasing!!!

• I am assuming you mean an "invisible fence". It works for many dogs if they are properly trained to it, but isn't a good idea as a stand alone, because as mentioned some dogs will run through it with the right stimulation. The other problem is that even if it keeps your dog in, it doesn't keep others out. Your dog is vulnerable to attacks by other free running dogs.

Now, if you live in the country, you could put up a "real" electric fence, and a properly constructed "predator" fence will keep most anything in (or out!)

Invisible fence is very useful to keep climbers off a physical fence or diggers away from it, or to keep them out of gardens or other places you don't want them to go.

• O

If you can't build a privacy fence, maybe an x-pen (with cover) would work for you? It's not quite a yard to run in, but it does offer space to play.

• E

The newer invisible fence models provide the correction on the other side of barrier. The correction does not stop until they return in to the yard. Even with that, we do not leave in the yard unattended.

Views