Skip to content

My dog ate half of a corn Cobb!

Basenji Health Issues & Questions

Suggested Topics

  • Rice in Dog Food

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    3k Views
    BarklessdogB
    I heard in the news that arsenic can be linked to certain types of cancer. Still if there are high concentrations of arsenic in rice, it does not makes sense to feed it to your dog everyday. http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/09/arsenic-and-rice-yes-again/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
  • Dog Origins Revisited

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    3
    0 Votes
    3 Posts
    5k Views
    curlytailsC
    The original article is here, for those interested: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0028496 I'm no scientist, so much of it was lost on me. I do admit being inherently skeptical of attempts to represent THE origin of dogs… I can't figure out how these studies account for how human relationships with dogs have developed over tens of thousands of years, and I'm far more interested in the way that culture and history have shaped the way we think of dogs -- or even what even counts as "domestication!" A lot of the Asian spitzes historically straddled and crossed that line, for example, roaming free as packs of wild dogs. Anyway, I also find it interesting that they chose a number of island-based village dogs to sample (i.e., the Taiwanese tugou, which is also close to my heart). @Mr B, I chuckle at your comment about "phasing over to the Basenji." I frequently think of doing just that so I don't have to deal with all these giant furballs all around my home!! But I think I will always be partial to the Asian spitz breeds. I love the look of your Jindo, and your Shiba is adorable too.
  • Vision in dogs

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    4
    0 Votes
    4 Posts
    3k Views
    AJs HumanA
    Very cool….thank you for this. Makes me want to look for more information on it. Speaking of the chase, AJ almost got a groundhog yesterday... Fortunately, that groundhog was smarter than AJ and hid under a storage container. I would imagine that had AJ been off lead, I'd still be trying to get him out from under there. :D
  • Is Eggplant Toxic to dogs?

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    14
    0 Votes
    14 Posts
    57k Views
    AJs HumanA
    Tanza: Until the late 1700's, people who ate tomatoes without dying were considered to be witches. European wisdom at the time was tomatoes, while a pretty plant, were poisonous. They had to be because they look so much like Bella Donna. That's why the immigrants of the time thought Indians were magical: because Indians ate tomatoes and peppers all the time. There isn't enough of the active ingredient in any of the foods you feed your kids to hurt them. Since you peel your spuds, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Dry Dog Foods

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    2
    0 Votes
    2 Posts
    3k Views
    S
    I use the Life Abudance and alternate between Paula Newmans. My dogs love it. Their coats look great. I totally support both of those dog foods.
  • Sleeping dogs!

    Basenji Health Issues & Questions
    12
    0 Votes
    12 Posts
    13k Views
    wizardW
    EL D (who will be 6 this December) sleeps (I think) most of the day while I'm at work. In the evenings when the weather was nice he would run around in the yard until it got too dark but now he generally just sits in his bed or on the couch if I'm involved in something, otherwise he's throwing his toys around or snooping in the basement.