• I have a question about Fanconi since I am a new Basenji owner. Can my girl still come down with Fanconi if she has
    tested carrier? I have been told no, but than I have been told maybe. Should I start strip testing her at a year old
    even if she is not affected, but a carrier? Thanks Also her test was done by OFA I think it was called the direct marker
    test. I think. They sent me a strip and I had to swab the inside of her mouth put it on the tester they sent me, and send
    it back. It took about 3 weeks to get the results.

• If you had her tested with the direct DNA test (Direct Marker Test) and she tested Carrier, she will not come down with Fanconi. There is no reason to strip test her. If it had been the linkage test, then the answer would be yes, you should test.

• Your dog will not get the genetic form of Fanconi, however, treats made in China have been linked to Fanconi, or a "Fanconi-like syndrome", so Fanconi can be induced by external factors. Although I am unclear as to if the induced Fanconi is reversible.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fanconi-syndrome-and-chinese-chicken-jerky-treats/

• Okay so those of you on the list that has the person claiming their dog has Fanconi even though DNA carrier… Please share:::

Jon Curby
    4:29 PM (52 minutes ago)

to me
    Hi, I don’t recall a case such as you describe and no one here at OFA would know to suggest that a VBG is used to confirm Fanconi. I checked with the lab and they don’t recall being notified either. I would need the dog’s name or registration number in order to research the situation.

There is acquired Fanconi and always a chance that a sample was mishandled in the lab, but anytime there is a suggestion of an incorrect test the lab has always retested the original samples and/or requested new samples as well as reviewing the test results from parents and siblings.

Regards,

Jon Curby
    OFA<<

• @tanza:

If you had her tested with the direct DNA test (Direct Marker Test) and she tested Carrier, she will not come down with Fanconi. There is no reason to strip test her. If it had been the linkage test, then the answer would be yes, you should test.

Okay thanks, I wont strip test her than.

• @DebraDownSouth:

Okay so those of you on the list that has the person claiming their dog has Fanconi even though DNA carrier… Please share:::

Jon Curby
    4:29 PM (52 minutes ago)

to me
    Hi, I don’t recall a case such as you describe and no one here at OFA would know to suggest that a VBG is used to confirm Fanconi. I checked with the lab and they don’t recall being notified either. I would need the dog’s name or registration number in order to research the situation.

There is acquired Fanconi and always a chance that a sample was mishandled in the lab, but anytime there is a suggestion of an incorrect test the lab has always retested the original samples and/or requested new samples as well as reviewing the test results from parents and siblings.

Regards,

Jon Curby
    OFA<<

Debra, that was a Basenji that was tested carrier with the linkage test, not the direct test. And yes, it did start to spill and there were two like that

• See this is how rumors begin, then you get people saying DNA worthless, blah blah blah. Pat if you know the person, PLEASE for the sake of all of us AND the dog, get the person to get the dog DNA tested. I knew there were some issues with the linkage.

Though to me, with 5000 tested, there will be testing errors… so yeah why not do an occasional strip test just to be sure your dog isn't one. Won't hurt. In fact, will help check for diabetes too so it's not a waste. 🙂 Thanks Pat.

• Know what person? The person(s), there were two, that had Carriers that started spilling are both deceased and were deceased before the Direct Test came out, if I remember correctly.

There were really no problems with the linkage test, because that was exactly what it was, a linkage test, it was never claimed to be a direct test and was not meant to be used in that manner

So I am not sure what rumors you are talking about or where they are coming from or what prompted your email to Jon Curby… and if people want to test, up to them....

• Sorry Pat… there is a rumor NOW, not on a deceased dog, that a DNA tested dog whose results say carrier is actually affected with Fanconi. I have no idea if the dog has been retested (seems not, seems vet wants to test VBG to verify Fanconi first?). But then you get people now saying, OH TOLD YOU, the DNA isn't accurate. That part is what has me a bit steamed. Rationalizing not testing because of an unverified RUMOR of a dog who is a carrier by DNA has Fanconi, when the dog has not been retested nor has OFA been notified--- yet the story is public and starting the rumor mill that the DNA is faulty. And it could even be acquired. I just think starting to bash the DNA over this one is ChickenLittle time.
    Sorry I wasn't clear.

Even the freaking linkage, though we knew not perfect, was pretty close for what it was. Again from Jon Curby:

Jon Curby

to me
    A couple of things. The linkage DNA test was very accurate and of those 435 dogs retested with the direct marker test only 3 have results not as good a the linkage test. Three normals that are now carriers. There was no research as to why those changed in that direction, could have been mishandling. There have been no dogs that were carriers that now test affected out of 106 carriers retested.

Nrm now Nrm Car now Car Aff now Aff Car now Nrm Aff now Nrm Aff now Car Ind now Nrm Ind now Car Nrm now Car Total
    Total 215 106 4 35 3 14 26 9 3 415

Jon Curby
    OFA<<

• I believe Pat/Tanza is referring to JEssica's dog [can't remember his/her name] and Julie's Diamond.
    The problem with Diamond was that while his Linkage Test was Probable Carrier, he was from a Probable Carrier x Probable Carrier breeding, which means that Julie SHOULD have been test stripping because this dog COULD have easily been affected due to the results of the parents…
    and having seen it happen to one of my dogs [we are in the same club].
    My dog's linkage test result was Carrier and when re-done on the linkage test was Carrier again. She passed before the Direct Test and I have no idea if they ever re-did her test on the direct test to see if it was a DNA recombination or data entry error.
    Diamond's initial results [that were sent to her] were p. Carrier and were obviously a data entry issue as when they re-tested on the Linkage test he DID test as p. Affected. This was done AFTER he started spilling sugar, as he wasn't strip tested until he was showing obvious signs of Fanconi Syndrome [excessive drinking and urination].

I am with Debra… with over 5000 tested, there is room for error, it is possible with anything where there is human input.

Suggested Topics