• Hello- I am new to this forum. My name is Michele and I live near Syracuse, NY. A few months ago, I spotted a neighbor with her 2 interesting looking dogs and I thought they looked like nothing but fun! I made a point to say hello and met the dogs and the rest is history. I am in love with basenjis. I have been looking for one to adopt for a month or so and it is a little slower going than I thought it would be. I have enjoyed looking at the pictures that people have posted on here. I think I am becoming basenji-obsessed! Love love love them!

• You go girl I wish you all the best. I am goofy stupid about mine. He has been my bosom companion and partner for the past ten and a half years now. All the luck in the world to you.

• Oh dear, I was going to warn you that they are nothing but trouble, not fun as you thought. But it seems you're already a goner. I can tell you what your future holds. You'll start off innocently enough with a basenji with big brown eyes that will just melt you and cause you to do all sorts of crazy things. You'll spend all your spare money on dog toys, treats, training classes and replacing shoes and underwear that your sweet puppy just shredded. There is a chance that at some point you will spend even more money on training classes so that you can compete in some dog sport (this is what has happened to me, yes I'm a basenji addict) and then you'll be puchasing money on all sorts of equipement you didn't even know existed a year ago. You will also need a larger bed. I am not kidding.

Even if you don't become a dog-sport addict, you will probably decide that your basenji needs a friend and you'll start looking for basenji #2. (and farther on, basenji #3, #4, etc) In the mean time, you'll be scouting ebay, amazon and dogwise.com for anything and everything basenji-related. When you're not doing that online, you'll be here, reading about what other basenji addicts are doing and how on earth can you outsmart your darling little b.

The only positive is that there are a LOT of us that are basenji-addicts, a subset of a larger dog-addict society. Some outsiders would say it's a rather sad existance, but I can promise you, life with a basenji is NEVER boring.

• We will be lure coursing in Starkille, NY over labor day weekend if you would like to meet and play with a slew of basenji. I will be running 3 of mine and some of their relatives will be running, will probably have a dozen or so. One of the ladies has contacts in NJ basenji rescue and might be able to help you with finding a nice one as she fosters.

• Yes, please!! That sounds amazing!! I would love to do that! Thank you very much. I suddenly can't wait for Labor Day.

• @agilebasenji:

You will also need a larger bed. I am not kidding.

Even if you don't become a dog-sport addict, you will probably decide that your basenji needs a friend and you'll start looking for basenji #2. (and farther on, basenji #3, #4, etc) In the mean time, you'll be scouting ebay, amazon and dogwise.com for anything and everything basenji-related. When you're not doing that online, you'll be here, reading about what other basenji addicts are doing and how on earth can you outsmart your darling little b.

Can't stop laughing! Our boy is 8 mths old now and a king size bed is definitely on our priority list. And we're looking for B #2. Yesterday at the dog park my husband casually commented that maybe one day we'll have 4! Still unsure if he was joking or not, but I'd know it'd be fun and we'd need a larger house. Unfortunately lure coursing isn't available locally here, we'd have to go to Ocala which is about 1 1/2 hrs away, but I already know when we eventually move out of state, the availability of local dog sports will be a consideration on where we go. And of course, I spend a large chunk of my spare time (i.e. when my husband is watching Loki or the crazy monkey is asleep) on this forum reading and learning.

To the OP, they are wonderful little pain in the butts. For my husband and myself, we've totally fallen in love with this breed and though in time we do want a bigger dog, it's pretty much set that we'll always have a B or 2 just to make life interesting.

• @TMartin:

Can't stop laughing! Our boy is 8 mths old now and a king size bed is definitely on our priority list. And we're looking for B #2. Yesterday at the dog park my husband casually commented that maybe one day we'll have 4! Still unsure if he was joking or not, but I'd know it'd be fun and we'd need a larger house.

Yes, but if you have 4, you can have the complete set - red/white, black/white, brindle and tri-ing.

And you should so take the drive and go coursing. For me, that's been the cheapest dog-sport we've done. (and the dogs LOVE it and I've never had to train for it.) Of course you can do fun runs at 8 months, but he needs to be older to compete.

• Welcome and good to know that you've plenty of members around and can join in with their activities

• @agilebasenji:

Yes, but if you have 4, you can have the complete set - red/white, black/white, brindle and tri-ing.

And you should so take the drive and go coursing. For me, that's been the cheapest dog-sport we've done. (and the dogs LOVE it and I've never had to train for it.) Of course you can do fun runs at 8 months, but he needs to be older to compete.

Yep, I told him if we ever did have 4 then it would have to be one of each color. And I'm seriously considering contacting our closest lure coursing club to go check it out. I'm sure Loki would love it. His favorite toy is this stuffing-less fox that we tied onto a fishing pole. My husband got the idea when he was a tiny little thing and he will chase it around the yard trying to catch it. Little smarty pants actually outsmarts us sometimes by figuring out where it'll be and running there rather than behind the fox!

• Great, we will be coursing ours both Saturday and Sunday the 1-2 Sept. my boys relatives will be running with us on Sunday, and there will be other basenjis running all 3 days. We are camping on site in a white class B rv with the Missouri plates DOGBED. The event runs from 8 till 3 or so each day, Hoping to be able to leave by early afternoon Sunday as we have a 16 hour drive home over two days. My cell number is (573) 578-2789.
    address is:
    381 Elwood Road, Wolfwind Farm
    Starkville, NY 13339-5410
    Directions to Wolfwind Farm, Starkville, New York
    It’s simple from the NYS Thruway: After the Exit 29 toll, make a RIGHT onto Rt 5-S WEST, continue for 3 miles,
    turn LEFT onto State Rt 80 SOUTH, continue for 8.4 miles to Elwood Rd, turn LEFT onto Elwood, follow for 1.5
    miles, entrance to field is on the RIGHT.
    If anyone gets misdirected, our home phone number is (518) 993-3724. Richard’s cell phone is (732) 644-
    5689; Denise’s cell phone is (732) 597-3769.
    (There is a new Dunkin’ Donuts at Exit 28 (mile marker 182—Fonda, Fultonville), two truck stops with
    restaurants, a McDonald’s, and several gas stations. )
    FROM THE WEST or NORTHWEST: New York State Thruway (I-90) East to Exit 30 (Herkimer). Pay the
    toll, turn LEFT at the traffic light, cross over the Mohawk River & Erie Canal bridge. Continue through that traffic
    light, turn LEFT at the next traffic light onto SR 28 South (Fastrac will be on your right after you make the turn –
    it’s the last convenience store & gas station before the house). Continue south on SR 28 for about ? mile, then turn
    LEFT onto Rt. 168 (before the big hill). Continue on Rt. 168 for about 15.3 miles (curvy, hilly road) – at the end,
    turn LEFT onto State Rt. 80, and immediately RIGHT onto Elwood Road. Follow Elwood up the hill, our place is
    the first farm on the right past the sheep pastures. [About 17 miles from Exit 30.]

• @Michele13:

Hello- I am new to this forum. My name is Michele and I live near Syracuse, NY. A few months ago, I spotted a neighbor with her 2 interesting looking dogs and I thought they looked like nothing but fun! I made a point to say hello and met the dogs and the rest is history. I am in love with basenjis. I have been looking for one to adopt for a month or so and it is a little slower going than I thought it would be. I have enjoyed looking at the pictures that people have posted on here. I think I am becoming basenji-obsessed! Love love love them!

You sound like someone that will love a Basenji… They will touch your life. That is the magic of a Basenji.
    Good luck

• Thanks tp3! I never thought I would feel like this about any dog! And I don't even own one yet. I am also loving this forum and everyone has been very welcoming and helpful. I can't wait until I have my dog and have many questions. I will know just where to go! thanks again!

• @lisastewart:

Great, we will be coursing ours both Saturday and Sunday the 1-2 Sept. my boys relatives will be running with us on Sunday, and there will be other basenjis running all 3 days. We are camping on site in a white class B rv with the Missouri plates DOGBED. The event runs from 8 till 3 or so each day, Hoping to be able to leave by early afternoon Sunday as we have a 16 hour drive home over two days.

Lisa- I can't thank you enough!!! I am looking forward to this very much and will plan to be there on Saturday. I will check in with you as the date gets near, but can't wait to get me some B-love!!! thank you so much!

• Lisa Stewart-

I am regretfully declining your invitation as I will be busy getting my new Basenji used to life in my home!!! I am happy to report that my little guy will be coming to me on Friday. While the thought of playing with a bunch of B's is sooo wonderful, I think I should stay put and spend time with our new dog.

thanks for your kindness!

And thanks to everyone for support! I am sure I will have lots of questions!

• Goodness & Peace…
    Hope you find your Basenji & if you do... There will be some interesting times ahead...

Suggested Topics