• First Basenji's

Kongo had giardia as a pup and had problems with diarrhea. I used to take him out on the regular without prompting. We have a bell by the door that we have been trying to get him to use. He doesn't ring it. He jumps on the door. I help him ring the bell before I open the door in hopes that one day he will get it.
    I stopped taking him out every few hours and he was used to going outside so I think that is why he let me know by going to the door. I don't know if you do this or not, but I have been told that you shouldn't go back inside right after they use the bathroom, which is easy to do if they take forever to go in the first place. They said that if your B knows they go inside after they pee that they will hold it on purpose to stay outside longer.
    Good luck!

• @Kongo22:

They said that if your B knows they go inside after they pee that they will hold it on purpose to stay outside longer.

Not if it's raining! 🙂 My guy has figured out that if he doesn't do what he was sent out to do, he is going to get wet! 😉

• Which Fromms are you feeding? Do you give any treats or biscuits?

Jennifer

• I have started (Saturday) to feeding him only in the morning. At 5:30 pm he gets up, starts getting into things to get my attention and playing with his bowl until I pick it up…it's been har because he's been so persistent at his "dinner time" to eat. I have notice that even with just feeding him 1 cup in the am that he still goes 2 times a day but he hasn't been getting up every night to pee or poop...two out of the three nights. I'm still debating picking up pee pads...I can't make up my mind I I want to go that route. If I can rework a few things and use repetition I'm hopeful I can retrain his mind. As for the type of Fromms I feed- I switch between two varieties at a time. This last rotation was 1 med size bag of the hickey a la veg and a med bag of grain free beef a la veg. He also only gets Fromms treats (mostly the cheddar or Parmesan version)..the only other supplementation comes from one 6" bully stick..a couple times a week

• I don't think Oakley will ever be the dog to go quickly, much I my dismay! However, I am working on outlasting him when he is stubborn to go and then to continue walking so as to get him to realize the walk continues after the bathroom break

• As suggested by another post, I prefer to feed first, then walk. I had a puppy mill foster who would walk for an hour in the AM, then poop in his crate. I gave him 2/3 cup of bran cereal for breakfast (mixed with LOTS of water) one morning, let him 'digest' for about 20 minutes, THEN took him walkies. Worked like a charm!

But hey, if it's raining out all bets are off…I actually put a tarp up one year because we had so much rain the dogs would refuse to go outside, then do it in the house. They liked having a roof to poop under!

• Yodelma: so glad that it's not just me!! Fortunately, my favorite time to walk or run is during the rain. It tends to be deserted on the streets and parks or forests..all you hear is the rain on the river or hitting the leaves ( it's my moment of sanity)..therefore Oakley has gotten used to the rain enough to where I know I can get him to go if I stay out long enough…it used I be concrete that he wouldn't go in the rain.

Ps- he no longer screams, he resists at first then gives in

• @eeeefarm:

Otherwise I don't see any reason for your "surprise package" other than spite. Yeah, I know, dogs don't do that. But I have seen too many cases with Basenjis to rule it out! 🙂 (their inner "cat" coming out!)

Regarding spite - it does happen. This year, I decided to give each neighbour in our cul-de-sac an autumn sunflower. They sprouted successfully and since then I have been prepping them for delivery. Yesterday I put some coloured rocks on top of the soil, staked them all and prepared the care cards for them.

At one point I ran into the house to watch the Olympic men's 200 meters. Kipawa normally follows me wherever I go. This time he didn't. I hadn't noticed that until he jumped up on the couch with a bright green sunflower leaf in his mouth. Now if THAT isn't saying "these things are getting too much attention" I don't know what else Kipawa might be saying. 🙂

This weekend we will be walking the neighbourhood and delivering them. Kipawa will be with me. I know he's going to love seeing them leaving the backyard. 😃

• Aw Oakley. You need to have a talk with Greta. She not only holds it all night but in the morning I have to drag her out of bed and she still won't go. I won't play games so she holds it all day till I get home from work- and she's not crated. Only once did she poop inside and that's after 3 days of torrential downpours and it came out like a rock. Bladder of steel.

• We had an older rescue who was used to getting up early between 5 to 6 a.m. We had to take her out and none of the other dogs would go out with her as they were still in bed under the covers. It was like she had an internal alarm clock. It did not matter what time we went to bed or what time she had been out the night before.

Jennifer

Suggested Topics