• My favorite is the first one of Ariel and Blondie…what a beautiful pack you have...congrats to all on the new addition!

• Very nice Andrea! I bet she's the love of the household right now!!

• @Quercus:

The 'domestic' lines of Basenjis come down from about 12 original dogs imported to the western world in the 1930s.

There were the imports BBoy mentioned added in the late 1980s. Then there were more imports brought in over the last few years, who will also hopefully be added to the AKC registry in the next year or so.

Most of the latter day imports, and their decendants (when bred to other Avongara dogs) go by the registered name "Avongara" ..which indicates they are 100% blood from recent imports. Some breeders focus on breeding lines of Avongara dogs to keep long lines of separate genetic material. Some breeders mix Avongara lines with their domestic to infuse new genes. Some breeders have only domestic lines.

All Basenjis with the brindle pattern go back to the Avongara dogs somewhere in their pedigree. That is a color that was reintroduced with the 80s imports.

Hopefully that helps a little 🙂

I would add, the BCOA/African Stock Project is looking for more information/pictures of the offspring of these dogs…..half Africans and the like. If you have a descendant of the Avongara dogs, they are looking for pictures, health issues, behavior and so on to post on the African Stock Project site.🆒

• She is so cute, those eyes, one could just drown in them 🙂

They all look so cosy on those snuggle pics, one just want to dive right in 😃

• she is OMG CUTE! I was SO hoping you'd post more pics! 🙂

Suggested Topics