• I just need a pep talk. My mother-in-law just left after being here for 2 weeks (!). During that time, my husband and I had to travel for business twice, gone for 2 nights each time. I know it is a lot to ask for her to watch 2 puppies (15 weeks) and 6-year-old twins and I am mostly grateful that she kept them all alive and healthy. But, still…

Before she came, I really wanted things to be easy, so we tripled our housebreaking efforts. We got the puppies to go in a specific spot by building an ex-pen in our courtyard, complete with mulch and some grass - my husband even landscaped it a little. We were thrilled that the puppies were learning to use the bells. It was all fabulous. They were getting to where they were happy in their crates, too, or at least not vocal about their sadness about being crated.

Apparently, MIL left them out of crates and just left the door open for them to go in and out. We have lost a great deal of progress - they hate their crates again and don't like their potty area anymore, so back to peeing on our patio tiles.

Like I said, I just need a pep talk. I am going to buckle down and go back to basics. They also started teething, which doesn't help, I'm sure. Like I said, I'm thankful that MIL dealt with it at all. We will get back to how it was, right?

• Oh absolutely! And it will almost certainly take less time the second time around. For re-training the crate, I'd recommend Crate Games. you can find it at dogwise.com or cleanrun.com or maybe even amazon. You'll be fine. (Of course with 2 15week puppies and 2 6 year old humans, one could question your sanity - gg)

• Oh, I am clearly insane to be doing this! However, right now, each puppy is fast asleep with his or her girl, and life is good.

Whenever I think I should run away, I focus on my vision of life in a year (or two or three), when everyone is mature and follows all rules and is perfect to the point that I will be sitting around, eating bonbons and laughing at all of the people silly enough to raise their kids and dogs one at a time. (Okay, it's a flawed vision, but it keeps me going…)

Thanks for the book recommendation - I'll get it.

• "Whenever I think I should run away, I focus on my vision of life in a year (or two or three), when everyone is mature and follows all rules and is perfect to the point that I will be sitting around, eating bonbons and laughing at all of the people silly enough to raise their kids and dogs one at a time. (Okay, it's a flawed vision, but it keeps me going…)"

You obviously have a good sense of humor, goodness knows you need it! I agree that you just need to remind the pups of their routine...vacation is over, 'Grandma' has left. Like kids, they will protest a bit then fall back into line. Lots of praise and rewards for following the rules. Often we have setbacks with puppies when anything in their routine changes, 'two steps forward and one backward' ; just keep going forward!

Though one might well question your sanity, I think it is terrific that each girl has her own puppy to love! I think you are very brave, and wise to 'look ahead'!

• I had a similar problem with my lil girl, we had certain rules and behaviours then i had a friend over too much who ignored these rules and let her do what she likes! we now see a lot less of the friend and stick to our routine and rules! it took a few weeks but we're now back on track! hang in there…and enjoy the bonbons when they come 🙂

• It seems to me that this is just like when Grandma comes to look after the children (human)!!!!

Suggested Topics