Why raw and kibble not at the same time?

• In an earlier thread, there was some mention about not feeding raw and kibble at the same time. I fess up, I've been doing that. :|

I often give Kipawa some cut up bison steak in his kibble. Or he gets his kibble and a little dehydrated (raw) food that has been reconstituted. He appears to have no problem processing these combinations, BUT if I'm doing something that will be detrimental to his health, I want to correct it now.

What are the reasons not to do it? Is it difficult on the body to digest both of these when they are mixed together?

• I am not sure…but I think it is more that they do not get to full benefits of a raw diet when you feed raw and kibble.

I feed kibble, but occasionally my guys get a RMB...usually a lamb femur.

• @Kipawa:

What are the reasons not to do it? Is it difficult on the body to digest both of these when they are mixed together?

I THINK it has something to do with the different digestion rates of each, therefore the raw is not fully digested before it is eliminated.

• Can you see me rolling my eyes? LOL. This, along with major human diet fads about what not to eat with other foods, have been researched and found to have absolutely NO scientific basis. (Okay I haven't researched it in a few years but there was so much done on digestion etc then I doubt it has changed.) Basically the human and dog stomach acid easily handles it all, it won't stop one from being digested, it won't whatever the current claims are.

Now raw feeders often disapprove of feeding kibble at all. Lord knows I took a lot of abuse when I went from total raw to raw and kibble. I just left the raw boards and did my own thing. 🙂 Do I think all raw is better? Yes.

• @giza1:

I THINK it has something to do with the different digestion rates of each, therefore the raw is not fully digested before it is eliminated.

This is the only thing I've read regarding mixing the two.

I personally will keep them separated, but only because of sanitary reasons (myself handling the food, not worried about my B). I'll usually do a kibble meal in the morning and then give him a raw meal in the evening.

• That is precisely why I didn't feed them together generally– raw was a meal, kibble a meal.

Suggested Topics