If you were going to add another dog….

• @basenjishunt:

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I have never met a "stable" Rhodesian Ridgeback…...I've seen many at Lure Coursing, and while out walking. There's something going on there..... Spooky about their demeanor. I wouldn't own one...just my 2 cents:rolleyes:

Wow, I would have to say just the total opposite… we have a lot around here and have sometimes up to 15 entered at lure trials. They are totally cool... And I know at least 6 people that have a RR and a Basenji together...

Not that like all breeds there are some that are not so nice... even Basenjis.. and many judges still to this day at shows are afraid of them in the ring... comes from a reputation that was "well" earned 40 yrs ago with very bad temperaments.

• @tanza:

Not that like all breeds there are some that are not so nice… even Basenjis.. and many judges still to this day at shows are afraid of them in the ring... comes from a reputation that was "well" earned 40 yrs ago with very bad temperaments.

Yes, years ago, my agility instructor didn't believe me when I told her my reason for refusing to teach my conformation-showing basenjis to "smile" on command. All she knew of basenjis were my 2 boyz.

• We have friends who had a lurcher, deerhound/greyhound mix, she was a really fabulous dog! I would have one like Zoe for sure.

We know one fabulous Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a couple of other mellow ones…but you are right, a few of them out there are 'on the edge' and that is a lot of dog to go off on you.
    I love Rat Terriers, maybe because the bigger ones look like tailless basenjis!

So I would get a lurcher for a big dog, or a Rat for a small dog, but mostly I would prefer to just keep adding basenjis when I win the lottery.

Anne in Tampa

• Hi there.
    At the moment I have a little girl. I'm considering getting her a brother or sister. There's no doubt I would go for another Basenji. Problem is, I don't want a new dog to teach her bad habits. My girl doesn' t know she can jump the back fence. She doesn't dig holes in the back lawn, only in the garden beds, which I 'm pretty sure she's running out of room to bury her treats. And she can be pretty smart when she wants to.
    Do I risk bringing a puppy into the family and my girl picking up bad puppy habits?

Suggested Topics