Basenji acting differently when owner becomes pregnant?

• Hey again - still dealing with Tayda's change in behavior…. i.e. growling at my husband, peeing in the house, newfound separation anxiety.

She was checked out at the vet - bloodwork done, Fanconi status is excellent, treated her for a possible UTI even though I didn't really think she had one - but she is still acting very strangely. Now I'm wondering if it has something to do with me being pregnant. Coincidentally we moved into our new house in Rhode Island and found out I was pregnant at about the same time.

Her behavior seems to be getting worse as I get closer to my due date (I'm 7 weeks away) and so now I'm really wondering if it has something to do with me being pregnant. She will sometimes pace around the house like she is looking for something, and then sometimes she will just squat and start peeing - even if she was outside recently. I have her in an expen during the day with a litter box at one end and she will sometimes pee in her bed - which she never used to do. She actually used to have free reign of the living room or kitchen while we were gone and was very reliable peeing in the litter box but not anymore. So we tried to go back to how we trained her to use the litter box in the first place... thinking we could gradually work up to having her free in the living room again but it's been months now and she still doesn't seem to get it. She is just very anxious in there. When we first litter box trained her it literally took less than a week.

She sleeps all night without having accidents. Sometimes she gets up once to go pee, but often times she goes 8-9 hours without having to pee. She sleeps in our bedroom on the floor next to Lenny.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on how we can help her to be more comfortable and less anxious? I cleaned up her pee about 5 times yesterday - it's getting pretty old....

• hi, not sure what you mean when you say "Fanconi status is excellent". Was the Fanconi DNA test done? The term 'excellent' is not used in the test results.

I get the feeling that the changes in her life (new home in particular) have a lot to do with her behavior. How old is she again? Did you get her as a young puppy? Were you guys her first owners? The reason I am asking is because perhaps the move may have triggered anxiety, especially if moves in her past meant new owners/fears.

I know that cleaning up pee all the time gets old real fast (we have a 19 year old cat who is now hit and miss with her litter box). When you need to do a cleanup, try to remain as calm as possible so she doesn't think peeing in the house is going to get her additional attention. Also, do you have an enzyme cleaner to spray and wipe the areas after you get the pee wiped up? I use one that takes all the pee smell out of any place our cat has peed.

I really hope that things get better for you guys.

• Oh, Tayda has Fanconi - she has been on the protocol for almost 4 years now and her most recent blood gasses came back "perfect" according to Dr. Gonto. That's what I meant by "Fanconi status is excellent." Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed everyone knows….

Tayda is 9 years old. I got her when she was 2 from her breeder. We have moved several times in the last 2 years, each time she acclimated beautifully. This is the first time she has shown any issues - that's why I was wondering if it might have something to do with my pregnancy instead.

If I catch her peeing - I give a stern "NO TAYDA" and pick her up and take her outside. If I don't catch her, I don't say anything, I just clean it up.

• I am wondering if it is your pregnancy that is affecting her. Can she be sensing hormone changes in you? Puzzling, to say the least, but dogs are very sensitive to changes in smell that a change in hormones might produce. I really can't offer any advice, but it will be interesting to see if things go back to "normal" once you have the baby. Perhaps the growling at your husband is because she feels protective of you in your current "condition"? Peeing could be marking, and relate to her wanting to stake out the territory she perceives as hers and yours…..

• That's what I'm wondering also - is she sensing hormone changes? Geez, you think after 7 years you know a dog but she is acting totally differently! I really hope we can figure something out - it makes me sad to see her so anxious and not at ease, and I'm tired of cleaning up pee! I have a high tolerance for pee cleanup since she has Fanconi, but 5 times in one day is just ridiculous.

Oh and, I spray/wipe down the area she peed with a vinegar/water solution…..

• Not that I like the chemical approach myself, but perhaps "Doggie Prozac" might get her over this rough spot? If the problem is anxiety related, maybe she just needs something temporarily to help her calm down. Worth discussing with your vet. (my niece who is a vet found that was the only way to get one of her cats to quit peeing everywhere because it was anxious about the other cats in the household)

• Any experience with rescue remedy? I was wondering if something like that might help to calm her a bit….

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Any experience with rescue remedy? I was wondering if something like that might help to calm her a bit….

I haven't used it for critters. My husband seems to get some good out of it for going to the dentist (like most men, he's a wimp!) But that could be placebo effect. Worth a try, since it really can't hurt.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

Any experience with rescue remedy? I was wondering if something like that might help to calm her a bit….

Rescue Remedy has alcohol in it…. I am not a fan

• The pet version of Rescue Remedy is an extract in glycerol. Just make sure you get that one if you're going to use it. I've tried it a few times. I'm not sure if it really does anything or not.

• @Nemo:

The pet version of Rescue Remedy is an extract in glycerol. Just make sure you get that one if you're going to use it. I've tried it a few times. I'm not sure if it really does anything or not.

Good points Nemo… thanks

• I've heard of people using homeopathic Ignatia Amara for anxiety and have also heard of people giving it to pets. I have never tried it though so maybe do some internet searches about it. I've tried both dap and rescue remedy (pet) when Ruby originally suffered separation anxiety but I cant honestly say they worked.

• @Tayda_Lenny:

I've used it before. Kind of makes them a little sleepy. Anything is worth a try I think, it is not that expensive.

• I've been considering this since you first posted . My pregnancies are many many years ago but I can't think that the Basenjis I had at the time reacted differently to it, but if this coincided I would give it some consideration and of course if she returns too normal after that would more or less clinch it.

If you go down the homeopathic road, I would give her Sepia to help stop the peeing as long as you're absolutely sure there's no infection.

Suggested Topics