Skip to content

Looking for Speaker on Basenji behavior as well as caring for older basenjis

Behavioral Issues
  • Hello- I am a volunteer with a Basenji Rescue group. As part of our yearly conference and meeting, we have speakers and informational sessions. We are holding this year's convention in Syracuse, NY in mid June. We would like to have a speaker address geriatric issues. There have also been many requests for a behaviorist.

    I am hoping someone here will know of someone who would be qualified and interested in speaking to a group of Basenji owners (and basenjis) about either of these topics.

    Thanks in advance!

Suggested Topics

  • Basenji and new people - not handling move well

    Behavioral Issues
    1
    0 Votes
    1 Posts
    2k Views
    No one has replied
  • Looking to get a Basenji, but not sure with my 2 y/o

    Behavioral Issues
    24
    0 Votes
    24 Posts
    20k Views
    P
    <> We adopted a Basenji who had only ever lived outside and with one lady owner. He was a very tolerant dog but just didn't appreciate being ordered around by my 4 sons. He would wait until they turned their backs and 'bite' into the air!
  • Older Basenji aggressive towards 1.5 yo

    Behavioral Issues
    11
    0 Votes
    11 Posts
    6k Views
    DebraDownSouthD
    LOL have your mom listen to Arwen on youtube. The noises, thank goodness, do not match the actions.
  • Weird Behavior ???

    Behavioral Issues
    17
    0 Votes
    17 Posts
    9k Views
    KipawaK
    @DebraDownSouth: Fran, there are times when I might mean to be condescending, but I assure you that it won't be "a little" or usually any question. That you could take my comment above as condescending… I can only suggest you may simply want to block my posts because it is entirely unlikely I will write 100 words to say what I said in under 20 because SOMEONE might see my observation as insulting. Now if I had said it condescending, such as: How could you THINK it could be that? Don't you think any dog living with females would already have reacted? How silly! The person threw out the idea of periods, which sometimes could be it .. and btw, pregnancy hormones set some dogs off… but it hit me he had lived with them too long for that to be probably. It wasn't an insult to the OP, just a response. People contradict my ideas daily on here, doesn't make them condescending or insulting. THEN, I could see it. I simply tossed out a quick response addressing that logically it probably wasn't that. If you read that as condescending instead of my own view, I am sorry. One helpful rule for forums is that you look at any post and see if there is another TONE than the one you ascribed. If there is, take the other. Like your post. I COULD think you are a jerk, not at all "friendly," addressing this here and hijacking the thread instead of sending me a private message. Instead, because I see you post a lot and like you :), I took it exactly at face value... you simply are expressing your view and trying to be helpful. So please remove any tones you might ascribe to the answer. The tone in my head is simply factual, that I am not responsible for your taking that as condescending and probably won't be able to stop you seeing other posts that way. Now if I actually say something you cannot take any way than as an insult, feel free to let me know. But the above... sorry, Fran, it was simply a logical observation. LOL, and in fact, let me now be "condescending" to my post. (I am joking while making a point.) SOMEONE (but it will be me, since it just hit me where I could easily be wrong...) could have responded to my post and said: Yeah, but dds, you are wrong because maybe she has an infection or urinary tract infection also with a period, that might do it. See? Debra, not a problem. Thank you.
  • Basenji Help!!

    Behavioral Issues
    9
    0 Votes
    9 Posts
    5k Views
    V
    Move the crates to different rooms. The female won't be able to see what's going on. Give the male his food first, then feed the female a little later. Don't let them out of the crates at the same time.
  • My Basenji is only aggressive towards other basenjis

    Behavioral Issues
    5
    0 Votes
    5 Posts
    5k Views
    agilebasenjiA
    You know, my boyz like dogs the same color as they are. Jet LOVES tri colored dogs - Berners, tri Aussies, etc. And last time they were at Anne's dog park, poor Digital was the only brindle basenji. Jet played with the basenjis and Diggie went and hung out with a brindle greyhound. Remember that Anne?