• @dcmclcm4:

Here is some information regarding ultrasound and the liver and here is the website it came from http://canineliverdiseasefoundation.org:

I would have a complete abdominal ultrasound done and not just the liver as it will show all the organs. Missy is on Ursodiol for her gallbladder problem.

Jennifer

Thanks, Jennifer! I'll check into it. I'm guessing I would have to go to UT for the ultrasound– if my vet had the capability, she probably would have done it. His bile duct test was normal. I believe that was a blood test. But maybe the bile acids test is different. I'm usually pretty good at knowing exactly what Spencer had done and the results, but those were a frantic few days and we were doing so many tests so quickly. I'm going to go back and re-read all the paperwork. I remember discussing a bile duct blockage as the root of his problem and ruling it out.

I'm glad Missy is still doing well! It's wonderful when these older Fanconi dogs keep beating the odds.

• It is so good to see so many knowledgeable folks here helping others. Those of us relatively new to the breed learn so much from you all. Scary and hard enough to have a sick dog– so much better to be able to come vent, share and get ideas.

• Yes, this forum is an amazing resource, for information as well as support! I have learned so much. When we were grasping at straws with Spencer's illness, everyone shared so many new ideas and suggestions. That and the compassion helped tremendously. You're right, Debra– it is a wonderful resource, and I'm so grateful to have it.

Spencer has regained almost two pounds. He still looks very thin, and every bone juts out, but he feels heavier when you pick him up. It sure does take longer to put the weight back on than it did to take it off. Now why is it the opposite for humans? 🙂

• Two pounds sounds very good - he was in such a low state. Every ounce is good news!!

• Yes, two pounds is good news! Two more, and he won't look like a starveling. He's been asking for seconds at night when it's something he likes. Quite a change from a month ago!

• Super news, so happy that he is doing so well!

• I know that people become extremely confused due to high ammonia levels. This is usually a liver related problem. Not sure it applies to dogs but it was the first thing that came to my mind.

• Thank you, Lisa67, for the suggestion! Spencer's ammonia levels aren't high. The vet doesn't think his high ALKP is liver disease, since his other liver enzymes are fine. At this point, given the lack of evidence to the contrary, it seems to be a combination of the dental infection and the Fanconi. We are hoping/guessing that when he has his next blood panel, it will have dropped back some. At any rate, he's feeling better– pretty good, really, for a 14-year-old!

• @ownedbyspencer:

Yes, two pounds is good news! Two more, and he won't look like a starveling. He's been asking for seconds at night when it's something he likes. Quite a change from a month ago!

Zest! has about 2 extra pounds he could have. Jet the trying also has a few to spare. I wonder if I can send them via the USpost.

• @agilebasenji:

Zest! has about 2 extra pounds he could have. Jet the trying also has a few to spare. I wonder if I can send them via the USpost.

Spencer says "send 'em on– Priority Mail, please!"

Though if he keeps being a little platelicker, he may reclaim his "love handles." For now, he is still the Angelina Jolie of the dog world.

Suggested Topics