• Hey Guys/Gals!!!
    My name is Nate and my basenji's name is Callaway. He is a 1 year old Brindle. Cannot wait to browse around and share the joy of basenjis with everyone.

• Welcome to you and Callaway from the UK.

• Hello and welcome to the forum. I just joined up this summer not really knowing about it and I love this place!! You get to ask questions and get knowledgable advice in return. I have learned a lot from this forum. We would all love to see pics of your dog.

• hi Nate and Callaway (great name!)! So glad to have you here with us! Can you tell us a little about Callaway and perhaps share a picture of him? We are picture fanatics here! We just can't get enough of them. 🙂

• Welcome. And yes, pictures please! 🙂

• Many of us are related by our Basenjis. Care to share his breeding/breeder? Welcome to the Forums.

• Welcome to you and Callaway 🙂

• Callaway is a fantastic name!!!!! Can't wait to see photos!

• @tanza:

Many of us are related by our Basenjis. Care to share his breeding/breeder? Welcome to the Forums.

If your B is a family pet, and not for breeding I would stay clear of answering questions like this and the people who ask them, as they tend to ask such questions with all new posters. It will only lead to criticism and contempt, if the dog didn't come out of there known breeder community you will never hear the end of it.

Welcome, you will find decent people here, but also some snarky breed snobs that just can't seem to mind there own buisness as well.

• Umm…..asking who the breeder is is a valid question. Most of us are related by our basenji's. We don't really care if they are a rescue or from a breeder or from wherever. We do like to ask questions about health testing or else you may be setting yourself up for a nasty surprise. This site is here to offer advice and support for everyone! Not just a select few who people deem important. I believe what you said Will_s is rude and uncalled for. Sorry if you feel like someone here has been hacking on you.

• @krunzer:

We do like to ask questions about health testing .

Well, that is quite fine, you are obviously one of the people I was speaking of. I know the facts of the bread and the health concerns, and because I can read, I did the research my self and am in no need of further education by you.

This is an introduction section, and the first question she asked was where did you get your dog from, hmmmmmmmmm, I think she has other motives for asking the question in the first place dont you? Is it often the first question she ask's, hmmmm?

Want to go further?

• Well, I hope you don't let Will_s's comment turn you off.

Most of us are related by basenji. I love hearing where people got their basenjis, my basenjis have family worldwide. My first two are from Georgia, Sherwood Basenjis, and are relatives of Kenset and Suddanly basenjis and many more. My third has Australian born import as a sire, Tamsala Rocket Socks, and has relatives world wide. My fourth is half Avongara and has many relatives amongst those who have dogs with Avongara behind them.

• So if it turn's out that his dog is from a byb, then I think the conversation takes a little different turn, don't you? And that's really what the poster was asking when she inquired about origins.

• Wow, someone must have pee'd in your cornflakes this morning. I am one of the easiest people on here to get along with. And as for Pat she has lent a lot to the Basenji community over the years. As for B's being related, my female and male are related to Tanza, Kipawa and other people. I am glad you can read because you sure can't spell. Maybe you should let others form their own opinions by themselves. Merry Christmas to you.

• Welcome to the message board, do you participate in any dog activities with your boy? We show, race, lure course and do rally obedience with our 6 dogs. They keep us busy now that the kid is grown and gone.

• @Will_s:

So if it turn's out that his dog is from a byb, then I think the conversation takes a little different turn, don't you? And that's really what the poster was asking when she inquired about origins.

l

Really, what's up with you? Nobody here is going to be more or less accepting of a new member based on where they acquired their Basenji. And the Basenjis don't know where they came from they just know where they are now… and they know that they're Basenjis.

I currently have 3 Basenjis, all rescues; one originally bred by a byb, one from a breeder turned hoarder, and another from an irresponsible show breeder. Those are the Basenjis I choose to have, and I don't feel that I am less of a Basenji owner because my dogs origins weren't from some place reputable.

• @Will_s:

If your B is a family pet, and not for breeding I would stay clear of answering questions like this and the people who ask them, as they tend to ask such questions with all new posters. It will only lead to criticism and contempt, if the dog didn't come out of there known breeder community you will never hear the end of it.

Welcome, you will find decent people here, but also some snarky breed snobs that just can't seem to mind there own buisness as well.

Certainly not that case… if you have rescued your Basenjis from a less than responsible breeder then Kudos to you... main thing is that they are are least tested for Fanconi since we have a direct DNA test. That way you know... We have many here that have rescue Basenjis and everyone is welcome.

You will find more often than not that responsible breeders place their pups in pet homes... as those are the best homes.

• I have been trying to decide whether to get into this discussion. I'm fairly new here, and I was welcomed without the 3rd degree about my dog, perhaps because he was an adult, not a pup. However, I have seen some new people interrogated to the point where they didn't come back, and that is unfortunate. I believe it is done with the best of intent, but can be overwhelming when someone has joined to gain more information and ends up feeling that they have done the unforgivable by not thoroughly researching the breed or their purchase before obtaining a puppy. If we were as kind and understanding to each other as we are to our dogs, things might feel a little more welcoming. JMHO. I respect everyone on this forum, and think the experienced breeders show an admirable interest in the welfare of the breed.

• I was trying to make that point, thank you, albeit a little dramatically but it did get noticed, those wagon trains circled faster than a B doing the 500 around the living room.

It's a small group that owns these dogs, as compared to say a breed that can be commonly found in any town USA.

This is after all the top listed site if you Google Basenji Forums, as a new owner would do seeking information, but you show up with a new pup pic that isn't acquired from the community, and well it shift's real quick to where that pup came from because a breading contract was broken at some point, and that B most likely came from lineage associated with a reputable breeder.

I'm just trying to say questions of pup origin do not belong in a category labeled "introduce your self", that's it, even if the intent was for the betterment/protection of the breed. No disrespect is meant, I just said things a little more direct than most would.

• please remember that ppl here are trying to make sure new owners are sure of the health risks and heartaches associated with fanconi and other health disorders that could be avoided by buying from responsible breeders. i bought my pup from a no-win situation in a petstore - super-discounted and an un-socialized biter. i was fully aware of what i was doing and felt a little guilty for it, but there was no way any family in their right mind would buy that dog (thus the major discount). when i joined the forum i received no terrible treatment for my ill-gotten little princess, just a reminder of the health testing that i should do as a responsible mom. i think you are over-analyzing the responses you received when you first joined. please remember that ppl are just making sure that you are not perpetuating the problem by senselessly breeding and are trying to help you out by making sure everyone knows about potential health issues so that they can address them early on if they see symptoms or signs. let's not discourage any new member from learning about all the joys and tribulations that basenjis have to offer, well-bred or not.

Suggested Topics