• Welcome to the forum Shari and Boyd, where are the pics 😃

• Welcome, Shari and Boyd. He is in that "terrible twos" stage, just be patient, in another 10 or 12 years you will have a calm, easy-going dog!

• @sharronhurlbut:

Pat, her license is USDA yes?

That is correct. Hopefully the sire and dam have been DNA tested for Fanconi, she has in the past sometimes done some health testing before breeding. I don't find the Dam on Sally's pedigree site, is that her full registered name? Misty May? I do find a T&N's Skippy Joe, if that is the sire, he is also not DNA tested for Fanconi.

So you might want to consider having your puppy DNA tested for Fanconi. Visit www.basenjihealth.org

• Oh, really, everyone who has NOT gotten their b's from parents that are heathy tested, please do. You need to know what is in store for you with your b's health down the road.

• Houston

Welcome Shari and Boyd, nice to have you onboard.

• Shari got Boyd from Harmony Hounds - you can see them both on my showcase page 🙂
    www.harmonyhounds.com

• I didn't see any fanconi testing info on your site?

• Actually we have done some Fanconi marker tests…but we have just begun to test via the new DNA Fanconi test procedure. Which brings up a question - this first test we have received - I cannot got the purple circle to turn white - any suggestions?....I have rubbed and rubbed the foam tip on the cheek but the purple circle (although saturated and dark from moisture) is not turning white - any suggestions? Can I send in a blood sample?
    As far as Fanconi testing our dogs - we are still using the older method of monthly strip testing with the urine test strip...we hope to have most done by DNA marker by the end of 2012...

• @HarmonyHounds:

Actually we have done some Fanconi marker tests…but we have just begun to test via the new DNA Fanconi test procedure. Which brings up a question - this first test we have received - I cannot got the purple circle to turn white - any suggestions?....I have rubbed and rubbed the foam tip on the cheek but the purple circle (although saturated and dark from moisture) is not turning white - any suggestions? Can I send in a blood sample?
    As far as Fanconi testing our dogs - we are still using the older method of monthly strip testing with the urine test strip...we hope to have most done by DNA marker by the end of 2012...

Does not turn white until it dries. You can not send a blood sample. If it doesn't turn white, might be possible that you have a bad test form? But I have not heard of that problem. It is difficult with Basenjis being a "dry mouth" breed to get enough "spit".

Hopefully before you do any breeding in 2012 those will be tested with the direct test. While the Linkage test was a good tool to use, it did give false positives. We have seen with the direct test changes from the Linkage test. Many to the better, some not. And hopefully any of the pups you are selling you are doing the test or advising the buyer to test.

The old method only tells you at that very point in time they are not spilling sugar, doesn't not give you any indication what you may or may not be producing in offspring. If you did marker tests, you can get a reduced rate (15.00 off)

• Bungwa has a very dry mouth and I only managed to get a very tiny white patch on the test card but it was still sufficient to do the test with that. It only turns white when it's dry - the instructions are quite explicit. Of course as Pat says it could be a bad test form.

Suggested Topics