• Good news! I got my OFA DNA results back and my Cody is a carrier. He is a neutered BRAT rescue so breeding is not an issue. My only concern was whether we would be facing Fanconi in the future. Just wanted to share - I was nervous while waiting for the test and am please by the results!

• That's great news! So glad you can breathe a sigh of relief. 🙂

• @bewler:

Good news! I got my OFA DNA results back and my Cody is a carrier. He is a neutered BRAT rescue so breeding is not an issue. My only concern was whether we would be facing Fanconi in the future. Just wanted to share - I was nervous while waiting for the test and am please by the results!

Good news… congrats!!!

• Thanks, Guys! I am thrilled with the results, but as Cody's foster mom pointed out, I wonder how his siblings fared. We'll never know, but so sad to think of Bs out in the world with this horrible disease!

• Wonderful news! 😃

• @bewler:

Thanks, Guys! I am thrilled with the results, but as Cody's foster mom pointed out, I wonder how his siblings fared. We'll never know, but so sad to think of Bs out in the world with this horrible disease!

For sure, but slowly and surely we will get rid of this horrible disease in our breed! We need to keep the word out there how important it is to test now with the direct test, even for those that tested Clear with the linkage test before breeding. Granted this year as the direct test only came out in September some bitches were already bred, but still important to get those sires, dams, pups tested

• I'm very pleased for you.

I agree with Pat that with the new direct test we now have to=he tool to virtuall eradicate Fanconi in the breed - of course it'll take time.

• Very good news!! My Ayo is probable carrier with the linkage test… need to do the new test....

• Thanks so much for all the well wishes! I am thrilled as I love this little guy beyond words! I know they are naughty and head-strong and disobedient, but I can't imagine my life now without a Basenji in it! And the fact that he has a good chance of living to a ripe old age thrills me to no end! At least he won't have Fanconi to cope with so there is one more thing in our favor toward spending many wonderful years with our quirky, paper-shredding, ankle biting, cuddly Basenji!

• This knowledge is so important to anyone who owes/loves a basenji. I hope all the pet folks do this cheekswab test.

Suggested Topics