Basenji sighting? (circa 1939)

• Hi experts,

I'm in the process of digitizing family photos and was sort of stunned to find these two shots in my mother's childhood photo album. What do you think? Is this a Basenji? In rural Nebraska in the late 1930's?

I can't ask my mom; she passsed away several years ago…before I found my beloved basenji...before I'd even heard of the breed!

Thanks for your input!
    attachment_t_12125_0_sandy-01.jpg
    attachment_t_12125_1_kfern-sandy-01.jpg

• Wow, what a cool find that is! That could be Ann. How's Noel doing?

• I know! A cool find. It looks basenji-ish, doesn't it? We always said my mom would have loved Noel. Guess we were right.

Noel is doing really well. She remains the anchor in our daily busy-ness. She's waiting for me to go to work now, so she can have a proper undisturbed nap!

Ann

• Could be a basenji or mix, cute dog!

• I don't think it's a Basenji or even a mix.. only because according to AKC the first litter of Basenji puppies raised to maturity was in 1941, so it was a very new breed to our country at that time! It's a very cute dog regardless!! I can see where it can be mistaken for a Basenji mix with those adorable ears! I would love to see these pictures enhanced/in color. Very interesting find! 🙂

Suggested Topics