New Behavior - clacking her teeth

• For about a week, Shaye has been showing some odd behavior. For no reason, while sitting around, or sometimes when walking, she will clack her teeth as though chomping at something but nothing is there, and she has not just eaten. It only lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it seems like she thinks she ought to be chomping at something because at the end she'll turn and bite her tail a time or two, but she also does this without further actions. Anyone know what this is? Have you seen it?😕

• Bitches will clack their teeth during breeding season, usually after smelling another bitches pee… and will do so, spayed or not... and this is Basenji breeding season

Can't answer about biting the tail part

• Males get 'clacky-teeth' when they smell a female in heat, maybe there is a female around and Shaye smells her perfume!.

• Wow, that is very interesting. I don't know of any females around who are not spayed, and she does it mainly at home, but at least that's a thought. I was afraid it was some sort of seizure or something. Every day we learn more about these B's - they are indeed a breed apart! Thanks, I'll worry less now.

• Okay that is funny. I have yet to see basenjis do it. I have seen dogs angry or frustrated (other breeds) do it. Will one of you folks PLEASE try to film it so I am not missing in the experience! 🙂

• I had a (spayed) bitch that used to do that…...usually sniffed something, then clacked her teeth. She seemed to do it more as she got older. I had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. 🙂

In horses it is a sign of submission. Foals do it, and usually outgrow it, but I have a 25 year old mare that will still teeth clack on occasion.......usually when she is in heat and shining up to my gelding! Go figure.....

Suggested Topics